• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Sudden leaf wilt/death issue on Habanero plant

While I don't have any pictures, I was wondering what might cause a Hab to suddently wilt like it was hit with frost...

I gave 3 or 4 habanero plants to a friend of mine 1 larger one with some fruit on it was growing well enough I kept it a week after potting it up before giving it to him... (this is the one with the problems) I also gave him some of the other smaller plants I had no use (or room) for... all of the smaller ones are in recycled containers (bottles and yogourt containers) and were doing well still but the bigger one in a concrete or painted clay pot suddently has started to have major leaf death... almost a month later

The pictures I saw that he showed me look like the leaves would if you miss a day watering them when they start to wilt.... but apparently soaking it in a tub of water now and letting it drain out hasn't helped....

Apparently the branches still are all green.. but it has now lost most of the leaves.

the other plants he has are in the same area and he did have to replace a window in the house in the room below but since the smaller plants are still doing fine I am guessing that isn't it... he also says he didn't fertilize it... and if anything he may have under watered it...

I suggested cutting it back to the good areas with leaf buds (if any)

It has been almost a month that he has had the plant so if the soil was a problem I would have thought there would have been signs before the last week or so and he says he doesn't see any bugs on them other than the occasional fungus gnat....

If he has been watering well enough and the other plants have no issue with similar treatment.... what do you think could possibly be the problem? I didn't note any yellowing of the leaves... they just looked like they would after drying out too much or catching some frost...

Back