• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Suggest a general schedule for hardening-off

HwyBill

Banned
Looking for some suggestions for a general schedule for hardening-off.

I live in Chicago (Zone 5). Not planning on setting them out for another couple weeks, but I want to have a good plan when I do.

Will set them out on my back deck, and I will probably have the most opportunity to set them out in the afternoons and evenings. (East facing, covered deck, so they will get indirect sun that has already passed the building, but also during the hottest part of the day).

What sort of schedule should I set up to harden them off?

How many hours per day?

For how long should I harden them off?

Is there a graduated schedule of increasing amount of time outside I should use?

do a search for some great details, this subject has been covered MANY times. i put them out in the sun till i notice they start to look limp, then bring them in, and slowly increase the amount of time in the sun each day till they are in the sun for hours, then at that point they are good to go

I'm quite mean when it comes to hardening. I stick my plants on the front porch where they receive direct sunlight from about 4-sundown. Just stick em out there for 10-14 days and then straight into their final restings spots. I dont worry about moving them around for only one hour per day of direct sun or whatever. If you can give them one to two hours of direct sun at sunrise or sunset and none inbetween then put them there and leave em.

Back