• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Summer Extreme Pruning

Some of my plants weren't doing so hot, yellow leaves, barely any fruit, gangly looking. Instead of throwing them away, i thought, why don't i prune them as if i am going to overwinter them. Meaning, leave like 9 inch stems sticking out of the dirt and then let the plant regrow everything.

Has anyone done this in the summer?

I just take and trim off every bad looking leaf there is.. i check every day and if it looks bad i take it off.. Lately they have been doing super well..  But id say just trim the bad leafs and keep everything else the way it is.. It'll regrow but if you take it back to far it will take along time to get it going back at full speed again.

Im cant agree on that. Yellow leaves should be left on the plant as the plant stops nutritions to specific leafs to give it to the other leafs. If you remove the yellow it will only stop nutrition to another leaf 

Before entering I thought TC meant he pruned at least one of his plants experlty enough to get something like 10 branches all full and think sprouting front the base of the plant.

Instead I read his plant's dying.

I am disappoint.

PJ, you'll have to leave at least a few leaves on the plant. If you cut every leaf off the plant will have no means of photosynthesis. No photosynthesis = no food=no growth

Leaving a dead/dying yellow leaf on a plant serves no benefit to the plant, NONE. Either the plant struggles to keep the dying leaf alive or, the leaf is dead already and serves no benefit what-so-ever to the plant.

My experience has been that even though production shuts down on many plants during the hottest months, the plant's growth continues. During the heat, they can start looking stressed. This time of vegetative growth always provided me with bigger plants to start crankin-out the fruit when the temperatures started dropping.

Our climate is a hot-n-humid cauldron during our summers. So, we do occasionally get nailed by a virus, bacteria or wilt of some kind that will cut our season short.

Bigoledude said:
Leaving a dead/dying yellow leaf on a plant serves no benefit to the plant, NONE. Either the plant struggles to keep the dying leaf alive or, the leaf is dead already and serves no benefit what-so-ever to the plant.

My experience has been that even though production shuts down on many plants during the hottest months, the plant's growth continues. During the heat, they can start looking stressed. This time of vegetative growth always provided me with bigger plants to start crankin-out the fruit when the temperatures started dropping.

Our climate is a hot-n-humid cauldron during our summers. So, we do occasionally get nailed by a virus, bacteria or wilt of some kind that will cut our season short.
Actually this is not quite true, some nutrients can be relocated by the plant from the dying leaf into new growth. Typically this is in cases where there is a nutrient deficiency. 

Here's a pretty good brief explanation. 

http://www.growingontheedge.net/viewtopic.php?p=55601

willard3 said:
Pruned tepin

Same plant 8 weeks later

Willard you are a Wizard

I have a Reaper that dropped on the ground and dried up.  When I found it, I watered it and within days all of the leaves fell off.  It was about 2 or 3 inches tall at that time.  While it's still small compared to my others, it's a nice bushy little plant that you'd never expect was almost dead a month or so ago.

I also pruned a couple of Bubblegums, a Brain Strain and a Dorset at the first fork back in June.  All are thriving right now.

my banana pepepr has been here for like 2 years now the main stock you cant even bend  and its only like 10 inches tall but has shootings all down the sides now exploded after chopping it down

Back