• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun Sun exposure

For all of you growing many different varieties of chili's do you have all the plants exposed to the sun for the same amount of time? I read somewhere that every species of chili has different sun exposure recommendations.

Unfortunately for me my pots don't see sun on my deck till about 10 am... They receive sun until 5:30. I can move them to a spot on deck where they will get 8 am sun but then it will be shade by 3. I can't keep moving 25 pots around every day to follow the sun. Next year I plan on having about 40 pots in 5 gallon pots.

Curious on what systems all of you use for varieties and sun.

Just to add I do have a spot on my property that gets sun all morning and day. However it's my garden that is 20' X 60'. Problem is I'm afraid to plant chili's in it since I have a water thrower that goes on every morning. Tomatoes, squash, zucchini, eggplant, lettuce, cucumbers, etc.

My garden needs a lot of water but my chili's don't.. Hence the predicament I'm in using pots instead on deck, which would require me to constantly move pots around all day following the sun.

In the Heat here I have to limit the amount of full sun they get or they shut down and wilt in the middle of the day so have mine set where they get about 4-5 hours of sun in the morning and then shade\indirect sun for the hottest part of the day. So it will depend on where you are growing whether they need more or less direct sun -- try the other spot that gets more morning sun and earlier shade and see if the plants like that better and then adjust as needed to find what they grow best in. (don't be afraid to experiment as they are pretty resilient and will probably do OK no matter where you place them but you might get better results by experimenting with them !

EDIT : Oh and yes some plants will want more sun than others for example My Thai hot ornamentals love the full day full sun - the Jalapenos don't like full day but still like more than the Bhuts and other Chinense varieties. So yes different varieties will want different amounts of sun.

As a general rule, early morning sun is better than later sun. So 8 to 3 sounds better then 10 to 5:30 I'd say.

All my chinense get about 5 hours morning sun then they're under shad cloth till sundown.

I'm in a similar situation but only have 5 plants to worry about. THE 10-5:30 sounds best for you. My plants are out on the balcony since I live in an apartment. My plants get good sun from 1:30pm-7:30pm because a frickin big hill is in the way blocking my sun! :twisted: But I have plants spitting out pods so, it seems to work ok. If it's super hots your growing do the 10:5:30 when the sun is strongest it will put your plants into production mode!

morning sun is usually best for the plants IMO...

and from what I have read....6 hours is considered "Full" sun by a lot of people....

not as intense...

mega...I may be dead wrong but it seems to work well for me....and if someone wants to disagree with me or enlighten me, please do...I am still learning too...

Morning sun is better than evening because there's less haze in the air to block the sun and the temperature to sunlight ratio is lower. Also once the heat of summer makes the leaves dip they don't catch as much. Most peppers like long intense sun fine but not all the hours of high temperature that come with it.

However, two hours one way or the other isn't much, I'd leave the plants where it's more convenient for other reasons unless they are wilting then choose the earlier area.

I have heard a lot of back and forth on the full sun/partial sun debate. My garden gets full sun from about 9 till sundown. The ghost peppers that everyone says need much less sun, are actually doing great. The pods are the biggest I have ever seen even when compared with the more experienced growers here on this forum. Since I grow organically in ground, I get the added bonus of having good drainage. I even mulched, only leaving a 2 foot diameter area around the plant stem that is free of mulch. I water every 2-3 days with a sprinkler when it's extremely hot, and the rains here are quite frequent, so one might worry that I am over watering. All of these things are a severe no-no according to some people on here and my plants are huge; the fruit is gigantic. I think the best way to go is to experiment.

Let's put it this way: as a new grower, the best thing that can happen to you is that everything goes wrong. It will teach you valuable lessons that will make your growing experience better down the road. For instance, if you begin seeing yellowing at the bottom leaves of your plant, you immediately know to back off of watering for a while. If you learn warning signs for things, you can make small corrections in how you care for your pepper plants before the problem becomes widespread and catastrophic. In doing so, your plants will respond in the way they are designed to: growing and producing. Never forget that these plants are fighting for survival and are trying to reproduce. We as growers are the biggest hindrance to their natural ability.

Case in point:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have heard a lot of back and forth on the full sun/partial sun debate. My garden gets full sun from about 9 till sundown. The ghost peppers that everyone says need much less sun, are actually doing great. The pods are the biggest I have ever seen even when compared with the more experienced growers here on this forum. Since I grow organically in ground, I get the added bonus of having good drainage. I even mulched, only leaving a 2 foot diameter area around the plant stem that is free of mulch. I water every 2-3 days with a sprinkler when it's extremely hot, and the rains here are quite frequent, so one might worry that I am over watering. All of these things are a severe no-no according to some people on here and my plants are huge; the fruit is gigantic. I think the best way to go is to experiment.

Let's put it this way: as a new grower, the best thing that can happen to you is that everything goes wrong. It will teach you valuable lessons that will make your growing experience better down the road. For instance, if you begin seeing yellowing at the bottom

Agree completely with the experimentation part - you learn from making mistakes and finding ways to correct them ! And as mentioned what works for one person may\may not work well for others. ( Figure full sun in Maryland is quite different than full sun in Southwest Texas ) -- I have to water 2-3 times daily with a sprinkler here to keep things in ground alive (which is why I mostly use containers instead of in ground !) so would never think every 2-3 days would be considered over watering !!

On the NMSU of chile websites 2003 grow notes they state that the chile plants that were exposed to higher temperatures had hotter pods than than the chile plants exposed to lower temperatures. Even though this may not apply to direct sun light temps it still could be a benifit to the idea of what part of the day to give the plants sun. Read the grow notes for 2003 for yourself.
http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/research/horticulture/CTF10.pdf

Full sun from dawn to dusk this season, and it really stresses them.
The Bhuts and Habs seem to wilt a bit during the hottest part of the day, but the Cayenne's really don't like it.
High altitude gives a bunch more UV, and the extreme low humidity and high winds leads me to do it different next season.

The ones that survive this year will be some evil plants, I hope.

all my peppers get full sun from about 9am until sundown. they do tend to wilt a little on super hot days, but they perk right back up once the sun goes down and with the exception of a few BER issues, all are producing healthy peppers. i ate a raw trinidad scorpion last night that almost made me pass out, so i'd say for me it's working ok :)

just a small tidbit you may have not thought about. Covering the top of your pots so that they dont get over watered by the sprinklers and give all the sun they can handle ??? just a thought

EDIT: my peppers get sun from sun up to sun down every day. they havent been the healthiest as the weather is weird this year. but they are coming back.

Back