• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

sun sun-light sun-bright

obviously plants need sun - the whole photosynthesis thing. once i have established plants how much sun do they need? Let me put it this way: I plan on growing them in my backyard (east). Should I have the plants closer to my house, so they are in the shade from say noon / 1 ? Out in the yard closer to my tomato plants - sunlight until probably 5 / 6? Or even along side my driveway and they would almost have sun from morning to night? Can they have too much sun or should I only worry about that on days it's in the high 80's or hotter?

(yeah i know more rookie questions. But i have to say - I see the pics of your harvests, plants, etc and it makes me want next year to get here so I can try my hand at it).

I would say the more the better, I'm getting 8-10 hours.

My brother had a garden that got about 5 and his garden failed and will be replanted in a better spot next year.

I can't say he has a green thumb though...

If they are well established then give them as much sun as you can!!!

If they are still very small, you need to protect them from the hottest part of the day...

As moyboy says gradual introduction to the sun..Increase each day,Then when there left out for the first few days or a week or so make sure they have some shade until they have hardened up..Pubescens and Chinese variety's can be very prone to scald and withering to the sun at first so be careful :)

Once the plants are hardened off they need light more than anything else (well, watering helps, too!). Chili plants originate from places where it is pretty warm all year round, so it figures.

I'll just second what everyone is saying. Harden them off and then plant them where they will be receiving the most sunlight. Peppers love the sun.

Back