• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

sun Sun Time

My seeds have finally started hooking.I started them in Burpee seed starting pellets with bottom heat.When is it advised to set the little babies out to soak up some sun before placing them in the ground?Thanks

If you have good temps put them out asap. Unless they have been grown under lights for a little bit. But if they are just no popping out of soil then put them in the sun right away.

Are you using any type of artificial indoor lighting?
If so I would pour the lighting on them 24/7 until 2 wks prior to your last hard frost date. Then you'd want to start them out in a shady area with no more than an hour of direct sunlight the 1st day. If your skies are overcast thats even better. Gradually add an hour or ttwo more a day of sunlight. Too much Too soon will burn the leaves.
If you don't have supplemental lighting indoors then you can use a south or west facing window until your able to bring them outdoors.
The rule of thumb is wait until the evening temperature stays above 50 degrees or if they're brought out during the daytime just bring the plants into the garage in the evening if its cold out.Bringing them out the next morning.
I would like to see at least 3 sets of true leaves before bringing them out for good. Slugs can damage small plants and if your plants only have a few leaves they could get stunted......beyond repair
Good luck with your plans

Greg

I have a question on sun time actually as well sorry to hijack. Just wondering as i have to come to a compromise due to shading at different times of day when would be best for plants to receive sunlight. I think I have 3 areas that get roughly the same amount of sunlight 6-8hours for example one gets good morning sunlight, one gets good midday sunlight and one gets good afternoon. Just trying to gauge because it's coming on winter here and I'm wondering if morning sunlight would be the best to sort of "wake" the plant up after a cold night? Or if it should get more midday sun because this may have more energy??(not sure if this is correct for growth or in general)

Cheers,
Peakey

I haven't been using any indoor lighting except for the light put off by the Christmas lights I bottom heat with.
Since the seeds have sprouted you need to supply them with light. If your weathers decent out during the day you can bring them out, then bring them back indoors if the evenings cool below 50 deg.
Sunburn is usually only an issue with the existing branching and leaves. The new growth will acclimate to the harsh sun. Without the approiate amount of light, your plants will grow thin and leggy. That type of growth habit will need staking at an early stage to support the weight of any peppers.
Bottom line is get the light going whether its window or outside...

Greg

I have a question on sun time actually as well sorry to hijack. Just wondering as i have to come to a compromise due to shading at different times of day when would be best for plants to receive sunlight. I think I have 3 areas that get roughly the same amount of sunlight 6-8hours for example one gets good morning sunlight, one gets good midday sunlight and one gets good afternoon. Just trying to gauge because it's coming on winter here and I'm wondering if morning sunlight would be the best to sort of "wake" the plant up after a cold night? Or if it should get more midday sun because this may have more energy??(not sure if this is correct for growth or in general)

Cheers,
Peakey
The morning sun is always better ( my opinion ) since the plants are wakening and reaching for light. The fresh morning air combined with the additional overnight moisture in the soil provides a healthier enviorement compared to the warmer afternoon harsh sunlight that can dehdyrate a plant quickly. I'd prefer seeing the young plants in some refreshing afternoon shade...Greg

Back