• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun Sunburn and Mold?

So I started out with a simple patio habanero plant last year. This year, I ordered devil's tongue, thai chille and bolivian rainbow seeds. I made a rookie mistake and didnt mark them, but I am pretty sure that all of these are Devil's tongue.

I started these out under two, simple T12 bulbs then moved them to a window sill that gets South/East sun. As you can see, the bottom leaves are a little brown around the gills and there is some white stuff forming on the top of the middle soil.

Are the bottom leaves sunburned?
Is that mold?

plants001_zps4a91b78a.jpg

http://s93.photobucket.com/user/adamsb456/media/plants001_zps4a91b78a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Too wet? Do your cups have drainage? 

When I make the (too often) mistake of overwatering the youngin's, they can't get nutrients. The leaves yellow because there's not enough nutrients available to support photosynthesis.. next step is withering and death.

What kind of soil are you using?

Miracle Grow Garden Soil. yes, my cups have drainage holes.

I usually water 2 to 3 times per week...

All of the newer leaves that popped up do not have this issue, so i assume that the leaves that were grown under lights couldnt handle the true sun. I will post follow up pics asap.

They should recover fine, it doesn't look too bad.

Kind of odd though. When mine have gotten sunburned it's usually the raised meaty part that gets it.

That still kind of looks like a nitrogen deficiency.

Between yellowing and watering 2-3 times a week, I would say the soil is probably waterlogged. In a 16oz of peat I water maybe once, twice a week, depending on the size/type of plant.

Is this the product you are refering to? If so, a quite glance at the reviews raises a few eyebrows. A high amount of uncomposted wood can tie up nitrogen for awhile, and looking at the product information, is not recommended for containers or as a starting mix.

I used some of that stuff last year, and fought bad problems with nitrogen deficiencies.

BNmlJiMh.jpg

On the shults soil, which also has a little sulpher (which is good for peppers!), I had lush green leaves.

It's FAR more dramatic in a comparison photo.. in a single pic you can't get a good view of color balance... so here's a pic comparing the two side-by-side. Shults pots are circled in green, Miracle grow in red.

HRo8jHqh.jpg

I had to constantly micro-feed the Miracle grow pots high nitrogen, and they didn't produce that well.

Back