• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun sunlight effecting heat level

Does the amount of sunlight that plants get effect thr heat level of pods? My plants are doing really well in about 5-6 hours direct sun but the jwalas that are already big enough to eat have absolutely no heat...although I did pick the one early because I couldn't wait any longer for that first fresh pod lol.

bravesfan said:
Does the amount of sunlight that plants get effect thr heat level of pods? My plants are doing really well in about 5-6 hours direct sun but the jwalas that are already big enough to eat have absolutely no heat...although I did pick the one early because I couldn't wait any longer for that first fresh pod lol.
Lol.. Thought i was the only one that did that. As for the heat level I'm not sure but i cab say the plants in the shade seem to be doing better than the ones that get more sun.

I can't recall who said it but one of the guys on here said that he gives his Bhuts 1-2 hours of direct sun and the rest is indirect sun and his plants are thriving. Personally, I haven't seen much sun in three weeks, so I couldn't tell you :-(

Yeah mine too...my fatalii is a beast and that is after the top broke off during a storm. Gets about 5 hours direct afternoon sun and about 1-2 hours filtered evening sun. My hope is that really I just picked the one too early and the heat will be there a little later on. You are definitely not the only one as I am thinking about picking another one for a sammich today

Yeah, I'd say its the ripening.... ny unripened scotch bonnets had nearly no heat a week before the rest started ripening.

The more sun, faster to ripen. So yhea, I think more sun is more heat. The hottest pepper I ever eaten ripened durring a record setting month of heat and no rain.

Back