• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun Sunny hot day's , whats your combating method's

Hello I'm new to gardening and chili pepper growing, its getting in the 106F range in the days its wicked hot in phx arizona. I'm trying new things though I put some of my plants in a container and put them under a shady area, and 2 plants are in the complete sun, and i have to water those constantly and they still wilt. I was wondering if anyone has luck with shade cloth, also i was thinking of puting some kind of reflectant shield for the sun like a white card board box on the soil. Im starting to think i may have not established my plants good enough for deep roots to take in water or its just that the soil and air heats up so much it drains life from the plant. Any idea's good people of thehotpepper? ps: I got a camera if needed :)

you could just cover the plant in mud and it would be fine, or you could buy some shadecloth and drape it over them

I have a shade cloth that isn't directly over my plants but off about 3 foot to the side of my garden and it goes from a house roof to a 7 foot fence. It's about 10 feet wide and has other more shade requiring plants under it.
Just shades the peppers for a good portion of the day at an angle and seems to work, but while it gets plenty hot here it isn't 106 very often.
I wouldn't put anything reflective on the ground, your just amplifying the sun the leaves get by reflecting it right to the underside.
My plants wilt at times in full sun and they don't need to be watered yet, at least in my experience.
Just make sure it comes back to normal at dusk

It is 108 here in Vegas and supposed to be 114 Saturday I put them out in Sun from about 6 to 10 or 11 and then out again at like 4 to 6 so they get a good 6 maybe 7 hours of sun a day it works good

I use a 50% shade cloth over alot of my scorpians ......Its proven that peppers grow bigger out of the direct sun....i also have drip irrigation going into my pots so the water doesnt burn the leaves as i irrigate during the sun days of summer. 

Attachments

• tent 1.jpg
    tent 1.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 37
  • tent 2.jpg
    tent 2.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 42
I had to buy some shade cloth myself last month as temps were getting in the triple digits. Just check the reviews on the shade cloth your buying as some 60% or 65 % are more like 50% to 55%. I was glad I got the 65% because the reviews said it was like 55%. My plants are doing much better since I put it up.

The most important thing is to make sure to mulch!

cactusMD said:
you could just cover the plant in mud and it would be fine, or you could buy some shadecloth and drape it over them

Do you mean as a mulch or are you suggesting he cover it in mud like Arnold hiding from The Predator???

im pretty lucky cuz i get the employee discount at the nursery i work at..20x20 50% shade with rivets like every 4 ft for 20 bucks ====if u have an ace hardware they have the same thing for $32...main thing is if u drip irrigate ur leaves wont get burned by the hot sun.

StupidJerk said:
The most important thing is to make sure to mulch!

Do you mean as a mulch or are you suggesting he cover it in mud like Arnold hiding from The Predator???

predator

it would emulate mottled sunlight kind of

I live in an apt. and have all of my plants on a west-facing balcony.  Even with the heat we're having, the plants are doing great (especially now that I'm adding Epsom salt to our over-hard tap water).  I'm getting about 5-6 hours of strong reflected to direct sunlight a day.  So for you, I'd try getting your potted plants under shade for part of the day and adjust your watering as needed.  Maybe hit up another member named Cowboy Bhuts--he's also a Phoenician and he has experience with shade cloth for our sun.  FWIW, I have most of my plants in smart pots and water them about every 2 days or so when they get mostly dry.  Hope this helps!

Back