• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

sun Sunscald Question

Put my chiles out 2 days ago so they could get some sun and fresh air after weeks of being cooped-up...big mistake...

now the leaves on some of the smaller ones are turning white and falling off....looks like sunscald...

do chiles bounce back from the sunscald? I have never had this happen before...

anyone?

TheJollyRancher said:
Put my chiles out 2 days ago so they could get some sun and fresh air after weeks of being cooped-up...big mistake...

now the leaves on some of the smaller ones are turning white and falling off....looks like sunscald...

anyone?

I've always found that they bounce back but the damaged leaves stay the same, but I live in England so I don't know too much about sunscald.

Should be fine, if the threat of frost is gone in your area of Cali, just leave them out in the sun. They will produce leaves that can handle the sun and be fine.

I have never had sunscald but I know that cmpman1974 did last year and I think his plants rebounded. Maybe he will chime in with the facts.

Dale

TheJollyRancher said:

anyone?

Yes, I will update my grow log later with some pics of harvest and the plants, they are looking great, i have three Monkey Face (annum) plants that were too close to the 250w bulb and all three of them were suntanned on the top, fading light yellow, probably would have become crispy as time progressed, this was around the time the first clusters of buds came. I topped all the plants, and cut all the buds, they really looked sad after i was done. Now all three of them have given and are continously giving more peppers, and they look great. So my point is, no problem, cut off the growth that are sick so it can grow some new healthy leaves instead, instead of slowly dying and falling off, why not make it a fast transition to new healthy leaves. Good luck, youre very early in the season and it will turn out great I think.

I've had many plants get sunscalded over the years, and its usually not a pretty site. I agree that often its best to cut the affected plants back to promote new growth instead of tying to fix what is dead or dying.

Back