• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Super hot paper towel germination

How long does it typically take for super hots to start to sprout when using the paper towel/ziploc method?
I've read that it can take multiple weeks at times, but what have most of you experienced?
At day 6 my jalapenos, seranos, and habaneros have started to sprout, but nothing yet from the scorpions, jolokias or reapers. 

As with most chilis, put the seeds in the freezer for about a week then take them out and germinate. I have ran control tests and the ones that came out of the freezer hooked about 10 times faster. This technique is called "freeze-thaw scarification" if you want to get scientific about it.

podz said:
As with most chilis, put the seeds in the freezer for about a week then take them out and germinate. I have ran control tests and the ones that came out of the freezer hooked about 10 times faster. This technique is called "freeze-thaw scarification" if you want to get scientific about it.

I'll have to give that a shot. Is there a period of time where you have to let the seeds rest, or can you go straight from freezer into a napkin/bag or soil?

slewis said:

I'll have to give that a shot. Is there a period of time where you have to let the seeds rest, or can you go straight from freezer into a napkin/bag or soil?

I just take them out and then start to germinate them after a few days wait.

ahayastani said:
I store seeds from SLP in the refrigerator. They are vacuum sealed (by SLP) so no humidity (and fungus) can enter: https://www.semillas.de/shop/samen_lagern.html

My SLP seeds were in the refrigerator for well a year when I sowed some of my stock and germination rate was still excellent.

Awesome. I just ordered a batch from THP just in case the ones from PJ have issues. Ill give that shot with the extras I decide to store.

Just responding to your first post, it's not uncommon that seeds for varieties such as scorpions, jolokias or reapers take longer than those for jalapenos, serranos, and habaneros, particularly the former two varieties being annuums.  Even on Scottex, I wouldn't be concerned yet in the 6-8 day range.  Just keep the conditions good (proper temperature and moist-but-not-wet) and see what happens over the next 5 or 6 days.

EDIT:  Nice tarpon in your avatar.  I used to love fishing for those when I lived in the FL.

CaneDog said:
Just responding to your first post, it's not uncommon that seeds for varieties such as scorpions, jolokias or reapers take longer than those for jalapenos, serranos, and habaneros, particularly the former two varieties being annuums.  Even on Scottex, I wouldn't be concerned yet in the 6-8 day range.  Just keep the conditions good (proper temperature and moist-but-not-wet) and see what happens over the next 5 or 6 days.

EDIT:  Nice tarpon in your avatar.  I used to love fishing for those when I lived in the FL.

Yeah I'm hoping that they come through and produce something. I've been reading up on temps and noticed they were a little bit hot at around 90 degrees so working on bringing them down a little bit; hoping I can salvage them and haven't done too much damage. I pulled them off the mat and they're sitting around 85 right now so we'll see what happens. Regardless, new seeds on the way from a reputable source per this forum. 

Regarding your edit, tarpon are my real addiction. Nothing like beating a 100lb fish with a fly rod!

Habaneros, Jalapenos, and Black Jalapenos making an appearance. Some of the cotys look like they're coming together, trying to reach straight up. Is this because they're trying to get closer to the light source?

Seedlings.PNG

Maybe it's just me, but I find the paper towel method personally never.fucking.works.for.me. :( Like seriously WTF?!?!? Am I just incompentent??!?

Putting seeds in  soil and putting them out works all day for me. Paper towel, damn near nothing. Seriously. In the last 6 years I've had maybe, maybe 3 batches of seeds work like that. I've given up on it and stick with what I know. Like, I live in Central FL. What the hell do I need a heating mat for?!

Back