• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Super-hots and the desert

Hello, I live in the desert, Las Vegas. This is my first year growing super-hots, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how they
handle extreme heat like we have here, 100+ degrees for the next 3-4 months? I'm curious as to whether I am going to be able to put
them outdoors before the end of september. Thanks for any advice you can give. :twisted:

I live in New mexico bro and my annuums absolutely love the full sun. Now the chinenses on the other hand ... they in my experience dont like the full blown New Mexico sun ive had success in areas around the house that have half day sun, Which sucks because my primary beds are full day sun. So i bought some shade cloth this year to see if my chinenses will like full day sun under the shade cloth. I will let you know when i have any results. You can score shade cloth at any homedepot or lowes.. grrrr arrrrrgggg ZoMbIe..

I live in New mexico bro and my annuums absolutely love the full sun. Now the chinenses on the other hand ... they in my experience dont like the full blown New Mexico sun ive had success in areas around the house that have half day sun, Which sucks because my primary beds are full day sun. So i bought some shade cloth this year to see if my chinenses will like full day sun under the shade cloth. I will let you know when i have any results. You can score shade cloth at any homedepot or lowes.. grrrr arrrrrgggg ZoMbIe..
Yeah my anaheim/nu-mex espanolas love the heat and sun! I have the same deal with my main gardens also, 8hrs full sun/heat. I actually just put up a shade cloth over the main garden box 8x10 hoping it helps! Thanks for the advice! :twisted:

I live in tucson, we have had weather around 100 degrees for the last two weeks. I had to put all my plants under shade cloths. Since the hot weather, all the flowers on my chinenses have dropped off, I have some new mexican that are taking the heat well.

Any suggestion on getting the chinenses to produce fruit?

I live in Bakersfield Ca. west of Las vegas, similar climate ,we have already had a couple of 100 degree days here. My chinenses had a hard time the first day, thank goodness it was a weekend so I could get them out of it. So I built a frame and shade cloth to cover them and it worked very well. We are back to normal now high 80 's to low 90's but I have kept the shade cloth up and they are doing really well. Hope this helps.

Myself , I don't think 100 degrees is bad for them ,but I do believe that 100 degrees in the direct sun all day is a little too harsh for them . I think the shade cloth just takes the edge off a bit.

From what I've read and after last year (we had 40 something days of 100+ days in a row) I had terrible luck with my plants. The winds were really terrible as well so it could have been more of that than the heat. Everything I have ever read though says 100+ is to hot for peppers. You can grow your plant just find usually but the flowers will fall off. Shade in the afternoon or just avoid it all together if you can.

in my region of spain we have frequently over 100ºF during summer.

during the hottest part of the summer, some peppers dont give pods - but some DO. but the most important part is that if your plant survive to after the summer, once the heat drops they will be big sturdy plants and they should yield plentyfull. if you have a mild winter you can get a long season anyway, even though you didnt get any chilis almost during summer.

Back