• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Superhot Future

A number of us are growing out some really amazing crosses.  All kinds of varieties and strains and different degrees of stability.

In the past names like 7 Pot, Trinidad Scorpion, Bhut, and Naga have served as some kind of indicator, but things seem to be going in a different direction with naming.

I can't help but try to imagine the future, when 7 Pot x TS x Bhut have been thoroughly crossed and stabilized, what might be a good way to name these superhots?  Of course only time will tell, but I'd be curious to hear any thoughts on this.

A pod on my Choco Bhut x Douglah F1 plant:

I will have to say that with more and more lay people becoming the ones that are growing out new strains and crossing everything and anything, the naming will become confusing. I think there will be the ones that want to keep to a more classic naming approach and then there will be others that like to get crazy and will give them all types of off the wall names.

The diversity of pepper plants and all of the crosses taking place is reminding me of America...lol "The Melting Pot" 

Hey, that could be a new name for a 7 pot cross.......dun dun dun!

Amazing looking cross btw SG

There is already a Butch T x Douglah x Bhut. Not sure how stable, but it is at least F4.

saugapepper said:
These crosses are going to be deadly and will dethrone the Reaper within the next 2 years.
I`m not convinced the Reaper is the hottest thing out there. Of course, my sample size is tiny, but we`ll see how things progress during the summer. The hottest I`ve had was the Butch T crossed x Douglah F4. 
Spicegeist said:
A number of us are growing out some really amazing crosses.  All kinds of varieties and strains and different degrees of stability.

In the past names like 7 Pot, Trinidad Scorpion, Bhut, and Naga have served as some kind of indicator, but things seem to be going in a different direction with naming.

I can't help but try to imagine the future, when 7 Pot x TS x Bhut have been thoroughly crossed and stabilized, what might be a good way to name these superhots?  Of course only time will tell, but I'd be curious to hear any thoughts on this.

A pod on my Choco Bhut x Douglah F1 plant:

That is an awesome pod and cross. Awesome!!!

hehehe  shoudl have somethign like that...

any

7 pot with any Bhut  shoudl be called a "7 puth" something
7 pot whit any scorp shoud be calle a "scorpot" something
any Scorp and Bhut should be called a "ScorBhut" something   ;)

and please dont add those  Brain / morouga battle or  Brown douglah one ;)

Nigel said:
I`m not convinced the Reaper is the hottest thing out there. Of course, my sample size is tiny, but we`ll see how things progress during the summer. The hottest I`ve had was the Butch T crossed x Douglah F4. 
I'm not convinced either, have had 6 fresh reapers from 3 different sources; and none of them had the heat I was expecting. Have had douglahs, red brains and morugas way hotter than any of the reapers

silva83tj said:
I'm not convinced either, have had 6 fresh reapers from 3 different sources; and none of them had the heat I was expecting. Have had douglahs, red brains and morugas way hotter than any of the reapers
I`m with you on that one. The Reaper doesn`t come in my top 5. Yet!!!

Lots of great growers out there, that really know their stuff. I hope to get there one day! I wonder how many accidental crosses there are?

Nigel said:
I`m with you on that one. The Reaper doesn`t come in my top 5. Yet!!!
it might be my paranoia, but i think alot of reviewers are persuaded to say certain things are the hottest, industry pressure etc particularly when theres only one person providing it. I'd love to be wrong, but i see corruption in it and is why i appreciate seeing honest reviews from small time guys such as yourself Nigel. you got nothing to prove and no one to please, but you enjoy what you are doing.

I've seen very similar things in the brewing industry where beer reviewers or competitions are giving mad props to beer that i basically think is substandard and you wonder what happened backhanded.

megahot said:
Lots of great growers out there, that really know their stuff. I hope to get there one day! I wonder how many accidental crosses there are?
Too many in my garden! Wife was weeding two days ago and found a pepper plant I didn't grow but came back from last years fallen pods. Time will tell but the leaves do not look right to me....

In addition to my purposeful crosses, I see a lot of accidental crosses too.  A Yellow Congo I'm growing is looking like it crossed with a Bhut or another similar-shaped pepper, a 7 Pot Barrackpore I'm growing looks like it crossed with a Cardi Yellow, a Yellow Chiltepin I'm growing got crossed with something too.  Peppers cross very easily.

My first superhot was a Naga/Bhut type and I still prefer the aroma on these over 7 Pot and TS.  Maybe once there are enough stable, thoroughly crossed peppers it we can continue to sort them by color like we already do, e.g. Yellow 7 Pot, Yellow Bhut... but the question remains... what would be an easier and informative way to say something like [[C. chacoense x Red Bhut] x [Douglah x TS Butch T]]?  Maybe there is no way and I'll just have to call it the knee-slapper.

My personal thought on it:

I think it makes sense to keep the "stable" names in the name of the cross (i.e. Moruga X Butch T [F1,2,3 etc]) until the cross becomes itself, "stable" (through actual PROOF and peer review). Then, give the thing a name, name it something that is sensible, that reflects the peppers lineage. In my opinion, you don't get to name a pepper after yourself unless you discover a new species, then we can talk about putting your name on it. I like that some of the crosses out there have names like Habalokia and Ghost Scorpion, these are descriptive, fun, marketable and give you an idea of where they came from.

Of course, then you have the accidental crosses, where the lineage isnt certain, but the plants prove worthwhile to isolate and stabilize... they pose a whole other problem.

No right or wrong, in my opinion, with the way it is being handled now, no matter what I will continue to just enjoy the sport of it all.

theghostpepperstore said:
My personal thought on it:

I think it makes sense to keep the "stable" names in the name of the cross (i.e. Moruga X Butch T [F1,2,3 etc]) until the cross becomes itself, "stable" (through actual PROOF and peer review). Then, give the thing a name, name it something that is sensible, that reflects the peppers lineage. In my opinion, you don't get to name a pepper after yourself unless you discover a new species, then we can talk about putting your name on it. I like that some of the crosses out there have names like Habalokia and Ghost Scorpion, these are descriptive, fun, marketable and give you an idea of where they came from.

Of course, then you have the accidental crosses, where the lineage isnt certain, but the plants prove worthwhile to isolate and stabilize... they pose a whole other problem.

No right or wrong, in my opinion, with the way it is being handled now, no matter what I will continue to just enjoy the sport of it all.

I think not naming peppers until they are stable is an easy thing to agree to, after all why bother naming something that will grow out brown, yellow and all different ways.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Delaware Creeper - oh wait we are talking peppers....

Is that like Virginia Creeper?  ;)

Spicegeist, I know what you mean. To cross a bhut and a hab is one thing but when you are crossing a cross with a cross, it becomes what seems to be a more complicated thing to name but in reality, those peppers (bhut, hab, scorp, etc.) have all been crossed somewhere down the line.

I agree with TGPS, once a cross is stable, then it should recieve it's own name. I don't necessarily think the name has to reflect the previous peppers, that's where reading up on the pepper and it's background comes into play.

It's like naming a child. When you meet someone, you have no idea who the parents are or where they came from until you get to know them.

3/5King said:
It's like naming a child. When you meet someone, you have no idea who the parents are or where they came from until you get to know them.

Except children almost always take part of their name from their parents, ("last name" in the US, "family name" or surname almost everywhere else)

;)

Some names wouldn't be able to be combined anyway and 20 years from now you might have a stable cross from a Habalokia X Ghost Scorpion. I wouldn't even venture trying to combine those two... at that point you are gonna have to just start making sh*t up! :rofl:

Haha, yes....I didn't think of that.

Maybe there needs to be a numerical value associated with all pepper types and then you would have -Name- followed by say 2.13.4 (say a bhut is a 4, scorpion is a 2 and hab is a 13)

Ragin Cajun! Oh my bad, thought we were talkin food here!

Reaper should be changed to Belly Buster, cuz it busted my belly pretty good!

Back