• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Superhots and Hallucinations

I just have to ask you all if Superhot chilies can cause hallucinations. My first reaction is no, because I've never heard of it before. But get this news article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/07/worlds-hottest-curry-ian-rothwell_n_2425002.html?utm_hp_ref=food

It looks like the press is claiming that Naga Infinity chilies caused a man in England to hallucinate for about 10 minutes. Can that really happen?

Now I know for sure I'm going to watch those videos that come out when those contestants of the Dollar Dare eat a 1/4 ounce of powder! I want to see if they start hallucinating and talk to ghosts or whatever while they're eating their killer burgers.

I've lit myself up pretty good on a few different occasions, to the point that I wasn't completely there. The burn can be intoxicating sometimes. But I've never been lit up to the point that I had hallucinations. I don't even know if it is possible for that to happen.

It can. Look at those guys that are in that thread. Already hallucinating. Talking about they can actually go thru it. Lol. As Juan says. Chemical in your body go all over so who knows

Ya, I've never gotten so intoxicated from peppers that I had a vision or talked to my animal god, if I had no one said anything, other than I was definitely feeling the rush or looking like I was going to shape shift or morph into something else, but hallucinate no.
It might be interesting to see just how much it would take to reach the point where you would hallucinate, but I would have some medical personal on hand just in case that something really serious happens like a cardiac arrest, that might be more plausible, having said that my doctor has put me on his you have been warned list.

0.o​

"The merciless peppers of Quetzalacatenango, grown deep in the jungle primeval by the inmates of a Guatemalan insane asylum"

250px-Pepper.jpg

I just have to ask you all if Superhot chilies can cause hallucinations. My first reaction is no, because I've never heard of it before. But get this news article:

http://www.huffingto...utm_hp_ref=food

It looks like the press is claiming that Naga Infinity chilies caused a man in England to hallucinate for about 10 minutes. Can that really happen?

Now I know for sure I'm going to watch those videos that come out when those contestants of the Dollar Dare eat a 1/4 ounce of powder! I want to see if they start hallucinating and talk to ghosts or whatever while they're eating their killer burgers.
Well. We already know he was tripping. Why in the Hell else would someone live in England ?

I'm doin alright.
Got a wormfactory for xmas, some seedlings going, more winter plants than I have room for, so things are going pretty good.

Being that the world didn't end and alll >.< I figure I better get rolling on the garden again.

I'm gonna throw a theory out there..

N, N-Dimethyltryptamine or 'DMT' Is one of the most powerful psychedelics known - and it is produced naturally in your body - by the pineal gland in your brain.
Although it's extremely intense it is very short acting because enzymes in your body called monoamine oxidase break it down.
Although natural in the body, it can be found in crystal form although universally a restricted substance. It earned the nickname 'workmans lunch trip' because it lasts usually only 15 minutes. (the use of monoamine oxidase inhibitors can prolong this to 8 or more hours - shamen in the amazon found such inhibitors in many natural plants in the amazon to do so).

What happens when you dream? Dmt.

Now the reason I bring this up is because of the 'I saw my life flash before my eyes' phenomenon.
When the body is put under stress the pineal gland has been known to release DMT - you are left tripping balls or seeing snapshots of your life because of DMT.
DMT is also in abundance in the baby when being born.

I propose the curry was such a shock to his body that DMT was released. And yes, people are very calm and collected under the influence of DMT.

Seeing as chillies themselves have no psychoactive compounds or alkaloids in them, they themselves cannot cause hallucinagenic stages, but they can trigger the body to react a certain way - imo, trigger the release of DMT.

Capsaicin is one of the most potent alkaloids in the world.
it releases a heavy bunch of Serotonine and Endorphines in the body. this may lead under some circumstances to an inbalance of the body chemistry resulting in a so called hallucination.

there are people in the world who lubrify themselves with very hot chilis and persist for hours in in a painful state. after this pain procedure the body releases such an amount of body&acute;s own drugs that hallucinations would occur. :fireball:
i cant recall wether this a ritual made by a tribe or by (Neo-)pagans...
i will see if i can find the source

Very interesting theories.

I have tortured myself with superhots many many times. Sometimes to the point where I peed fire for the next 24 hours. Sometimes to the point that I've puked and still peed fire, but I have never actually hallucinated. If that didn't make me hallucinate, I am not willing to take it a step further to see if it will.

As nice as endorphins and serotonin are nice, they aren't psychedelic. Nor are any of the alkaloids in peppers. DMT is.

As nice as endorphins and serotonin are nice, they aren't psychedelic. Nor are any of the alkaloids in peppers. DMT is.

Well then, maybe test your theory! Take a couple of Morugas or Butch T's, hollow them out, fill them with Syrian Rue powder (inhibitor) and munch down on those babies. If it is DMT flooding the brain, you should find out rather quickly!

unfortunetely this is just a speculation. all the people (and of course this is no offense) who claim DMT is playing a role in this process refer to the work of Dr.Strassman. actually i like his theory but it is still a theory. it is still unconfirmed wether endegenous DMT is playing a role in dreams and NDEs or not. and the major question is, does DMT really exist in human body??
Strassman was first very impressed by this idea i.e. his work but later he relativized his claim.

so please, dont mix up a (still on going) theory with scientific facts. the spillage of Serotonine and Endorphines through Capsaicin are scientifically proven.

who knows, maybe we have a DMT-producing body. that would be very cool of course :hell:

cheers

I put hot sauce on some shrooms once. I had all kinds of hallucinations. So yeah, I think peppers can make you trip. ;)
Not gonna deny, I've had some very intense experiences with psychedelics and chillies.
They definitely have an effect on each other!

unfortunetely this is just a speculation. all the people (and of course this is no offense) who claim DMT is playing a role in this process refer to the work of Dr.Strassman. actually i like his theory but it is still a theory. it is still unconfirmed wether endegenous DMT is playing a role in dreams and NDEs or not. and the major question is, does DMT really exist in human body??
Strassman was first very impressed by this idea i.e. his work but later he relativized his claim.

so please, dont mix up a (still on going) theory with scientific facts. the spillage of Serotonine and Endorphines through Capsaicin are scientifically proven.

who knows, maybe we have a DMT-producing body. that would be very cool of course :hell:

cheers
And if you actually read my original post, you will find straight away I said I'm gonna propose a THEORY.

And if you actually read my original post, you will find straight away I said I'm gonna propose a THEORY.

Sorry my friend!
shame on me... :mope:

but let me explain you something
you said:
As nice as endorphins and serotonin are nice, they aren't psychedelic. Nor are any of the alkaloids in peppers. DMT is

the topic was wether chilis might cause hallucination or not. the psychedelic phenomena is not the issue here. Hallucinogenic and psychedelic are not always the same. but lets come to the main topic i want to say...
Serotonin and Endorphins are not hallucinogenic per se BUT the imbalance (too low or too high level) of them may cause an endegenous hallucination. it is the same with holotropic breathing. an imbalance of oxygen lead to a profound experience.
but it is still unclear if DMT is released during such processes or not. i hope scientist will shed light on to this topic very soon!
it is very interesting!

hail to the DMT! :fireball:
:high:

Back