• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Superhots - Days to picking pod???

A question for those who have successfully grown the superhots, such as the Bhuts, Nagas, 7-pod, etc.

Most web sites say 100 days to maturity but I had plants that were transplanted and outside in the middle of May and they didn't start to set many flowers and produce buds until late September. One hundred days should have meant ripe pods by the end of August, very early September at the latest.

It hurt, when the middle of October arrived, a killing freeze was forecast and I had to cut off dozens to hundreds of blooms. So the question is, even in a very warm summer, is 120 days closer to the time from transplant?

Mike

I've had them go in 100 days but more like 150. I think its a guide in perfect conditions, they, in my opinion need as much humidity and heat as they can get.

Mick

I started mine at the end of January indoors and put them outside in the middle of May. Started getting flowers in June but never picked a pepper until the middle of August. Way past 150 days total from planting the seed to picking a pepper.

Got to agree with the Mick, 100 days would have to be perfect conditions.

ya I would agree that they take alot longer !!

my jalapenos were corking red and my nagas had just started to bud so I may have not done somthing right but in the end they were very good plants.

In that case, I may sow some seeds the first of next month. If they get too big for 3" containers by the middle of April, I can always move them to 4" or 6" and sell them for more.

Mike

wordwiz, the same thing happened to me last year with the Rocoto seeds I had. My seeds were planted in either late February or earlY March and the frost killed the only 2 plants I had with several unripe pods. I planted several seeds TODAY and I already have my Rocotos growing. This year I will grow them in pots and over winter them. I was unaware that you could do that until I joined this site.

we haven't had a real hot start to summer and spring was very mellow - I overwintered a 7 pod, it's got at least 100 little buds and pods on it - 1st day of spring in Oz is September 1, by my reckoning that makes it about 115 days and none are ripe yet though several are at mature size so it should be another 2-3 weeks I reckon.

I understand the 100 days to be from the planting out date so the first 6wks or so when in seedling stage I don't count. short season peppers like Ring Of Fire cayennes are supposedly 60 day-ers, I doubt you could harvest ripe pods two months after setting down the seed regardless of the growing conditions. therefore the 100 day estimate really is more like 150 days if you discount the seed/seedling portion of the growth cycle.

I started to germ seed for about 20 bhut jolokia plants on 5th September. all plants are healthy and most have a lot of buds and some flowers but no pods worth talking about and they are a total of 110 days old (including the 6 wks above). my usual season ends in Sydney about the end of April sometimes I can squeeze a few weeks into May before the plants shut down and I reckon I'll have edible pods by end Feb or mid-March on the bhuts, a total of 180ish days from seed to pod.

my limons, cayennes, big jims are all miles ahead of the bhuts. only the fataliis and to a lesser extent orange habs are as slow to fruit.

EDIT: I suppose I should mention that growing times would most likely vary depending on things like local climate, overnight temps, watering and feeding regime, growing media soil/hydro/container/garden bed/sunlight/greenhouse (any others?) - I'm sure most of you would know this as most of you are better growers than me. I grow in terracotta pots in the backyard. my plants receive anywhere from 6-8 hours of direct sunlight per day which is plenty. I water about every three days unless it gets really hot and we have a lot of 30+ degC days in a row, like what is predicted over the next ten days or so. I have found that the 7pot is very temperatmental when it comes to overwatering, more so than all my other varieties - I will water it with the same frequency but not a deep soaking like I give the others, otherwise I tend to get a bit of leaf yellowing and leaf drop and spottiness which looks like bacterial spot but no ill effect on the blossoms or pods or fruit setting (so far).

shayneyasinski said:
ya I would agree that they take alot longer !!

my jalapenos were corking red and my nagas had just started to bud so I may have not done somthing right but in the end they were very good plants.

annuums are bolters compared to chinenses, I started to germ mine about two weeks after I commenced my chinenses and they outgrew them in by the time they were 4 weeks old. I start my 'supers' ahead of other varieties as space is an issue for me. that way I get to eat homegrown pods early (I've already picked quite a number of cayennes) even though they arent supers they still have the chilliman64 stamp on them - I know I could buy habs at Coles but I'd rather eat my own peppers even if they don't burn me a new one - I've got those still to look forward to.

EDIT: sorry about the double post

Back