• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Supermarket Harvest

So yeah, I think I just caught my local supermarket stocking the shelves.
Just thought I'd share how lucky I got.

Living in an immigrant-heavy area of Brooklyn has its perks when it comes to the sort of food you can find around here.
4783129332_1be5d13742_b.jpg

4783129760_2416de4727_b.jpg

And this is what I'm doing with them:
4783130092_2c2fdf2d33_b.jpg

A small pot of hot chilli.

you have nagas in a grocery store??? Wow.

i dont know if it's a naga. that's one of the two pods i used to make the chilli this morning and it was weird enough that i took a few seeds from it. it looks more like a paper lantern cross or maybe even something like one of those elongated 7 pod strains; a lot of the peppers in this package had pseudo-scorpion-tails, which is pretty interesting. those always come green though, never red or yellow, so their heat is pretty laughable. i have to put in about 5 of the green ones into a pot of chilli to accomplish what 2-3 red ripe habs can do.

as to what it tasted like: it had the strongest fruit smell i've ever come across yet. like, while i was cutting stuff up, it overpowered the smell of the onions. it was pretty damn spicy too. a single red hab + 1 cherry + that pod = hellishly hot chilli.

We have a guy running around the local Carribean restaurants selling 10-lbs boxes of freshly imported red Scotch Bonnets right off the boat. ($25.00 CDN.)
Makes you wonder if growing is worth the time other than the thrill factor one gets from his very own red, yellow,chocolate,vanilla children 8-p

We have a guy running around the local Carribean restaurants selling 10-lbs boxes of freshly imported red Scotch Bonnets right off the boat. ($25.00 CDN.)
Makes you wonder if growing is worth the time other than the thrill factor one gets from his very own red, yellow,chocolate,vanilla children 8-p

heh, i believe you also get more uniformity from your peppers at home, which is a huge issue when cooking.
like, i used two of the red pods in that first picture in a chilli and just about screamed. other times i can pop 3 in and end up adding hot sauce afterwards because they weren't hot enough. this is even more true with green pods, where i sometimes get pods with nearly zero heat and other times they are scorching and almost "red" in heat.

i guess it's about control?

Nice! :) The strange pod caught my eye also.

Only get Habs,Japs and Pablanos in most stores. Though, I plan on visiting Chinatown to look in the various groceries very soon. :dance:

Back