• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

support peppers

I stake mine - 3 stakes to a pot - with twine. I tie each to the main stem, then I also can do a wrap-around for the ones that sprawl. It's not just the weight of the pods, for me, but after having plants damaged from sudden, severe storms a couple years ago, I've found that staking them well can make a difference if I'm not around to move them before the storm hits.

Same here, strong gusts of wind will tear up any larger peppers that don't have at least two stakes and twine around them. Last year on a couple plants I even went as far as to put tent stakes in the ground at 3 points around them and tie those to the tallest stake in the pot because the year prior, putting cinder blocks around some pots wasn't enough... pot stayed put but the stakes either pulled out or broke at ground level, along with half broken and uprooted plants.

yeah wind killed 2 of my butch ts last year... and they were in heavy fruiting too,,, grrr. anyway I modified my hog wire cages to go into the ground 4 more inches by just using wire clippers to remove a set of horizontal wire. on the bottom, then i shove them into the soil. it works very well

atm, it's 7°C (44,6F) outside, with full sun and a good wind.
I'm putting the peppers outside for a couple hours...is that a good way to harden them?
Or to cold?

Back