• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod Supposed to be a Reaper

[SIZE=10.5pt]I purchased this plant as a start a few months ago. Its growing quite well and has produced three pods so far, this picture being the largest of the three. They look like bells to me and I've been worried I was skunked by the seller. The wife and I were discussing the pods a few days ago so I picked the smallest of the three, about the size of a small grape. I cut it in half and chewed up the bottom half. No discernable flavor and no heat. I spit it out and handed it to the wife explaining that it wasn't hot and I needed to call the guy I purchased it from. Long story short she tasted it and we found out it was pretty dang warm towards the stem. This is my first time growing super hots so I'm not sure what to expect regarding the development of a plant's first pods. I've read online that a pepper's first pods may not grow true. I've also read that reapers are pretty unpredictable. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Here's a quick picture of the pod in question. I can take a few pictures of the leaves and plant later if it would be helpful. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Thanks in advance for the help. This is an awesome forum that continues to feed my addiction. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I can't seem to upload a picture. If anyone could tell me how that would be great. Right now I have it saved as my profile picture. [/SIZE]

Hello and welcome Mrpeabody! Pods not growing true is definitely caused by cold if it is true that it is a reaper. Had a wave of reapers growing, then some low temp nights came and they stayed like a grape and tiny

Just wanted to let everyone know that the pod is fully ripened. Picked it this morning and a buddy and I will be tasting it after lunch today. I'll report back with the heat level then. Thanks for all the replies thus far. 

I'll post some pictures of the leaves on the plant. They look totally different from those on my Hab plants. I'm hoping this turns out to be a Reaper as this is the only one I have. 

Looking at the pepper behind it that's green, they look very similar. if no heat, i'd guess a mini bell cus they look like my mini chocolate bells minus the color

I've already eaten one, didn't get pictures of it because it was smaller than all the others, and it was suprisingly hot. That one was the size of a grape and was green. Plenty of heat towards the stem. 

Finally able to eat that pepper. I ate a decent sized chunk of it and it was hot but not mind numbing hot like I had wanted. I'm going to  let the plant produce more pods and I'll let everyone know what they look like in the weeks to come. 

If it was hot but didn't feel like you stopped a train with your face it's probably not a Reaper. Even the guys with a high heat tolerance visibly suffer when taking on a Reaper. Did it taste good?

Id like to think I have a pretty good palate. That being said it had a very distinct flavor that I have never encountered before. Sweet upfront eith a sharp burn that lasted for over 15 minutes.

You know a 7 Pod or Reaper when you eat it raw. It doesnt have a sharp burn it hurts... normally followed by some stomach cramping. That said Ive had Reapers in the Ghost Pepper heat range and Ghost Peppers I would swear clocked in at 2 million.

Back