• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod Supposed to be a Reaper

[SIZE=10.5pt]I purchased this plant as a start a few months ago. Its growing quite well and has produced three pods so far, this picture being the largest of the three. They look like bells to me and I've been worried I was skunked by the seller. The wife and I were discussing the pods a few days ago so I picked the smallest of the three, about the size of a small grape. I cut it in half and chewed up the bottom half. No discernable flavor and no heat. I spit it out and handed it to the wife explaining that it wasn't hot and I needed to call the guy I purchased it from. Long story short she tasted it and we found out it was pretty dang warm towards the stem. This is my first time growing super hots so I'm not sure what to expect regarding the development of a plant's first pods. I've read online that a pepper's first pods may not grow true. I've also read that reapers are pretty unpredictable. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Here's a quick picture of the pod in question. I can take a few pictures of the leaves and plant later if it would be helpful. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Thanks in advance for the help. This is an awesome forum that continues to feed my addiction. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I can't seem to upload a picture. If anyone could tell me how that would be great. Right now I have it saved as my profile picture. [/SIZE]

First off, :welcome: aboard!
To post pictures you need to use a hosting site like photobucket or imageshack. Copy the URL. In the tool bar above the text box you type in you will see a little picture icon (it is below the smiley face). Click on that and paste the URL into the space provided. Hit OK. It will post the picture.

I was afraid I'd have to use imgur or photobucket. I'm currently at work and they frown upon using sites that allow me to upload info and what not. I'll have to wait 10 minutes or so till I'm a free man. 

I'm hoping it turns out to be one because I bought a few others from him. A Butch T and a Devil's Tongue

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've read the forums for a long time but have never posted. Seems like a great community. 

meinchoh said:
:welcome:  from Ohio! Certainly not a Reaper, based on your description and your profile pic.

I agree to an extent. I had a moruga last year that put out some very small (grape size, like the OP) and slightly misshapen pods that weren't really hot, either. The rest of the pods... Killer!

Who did you purchase your plants from?

If your plants end up not being true, let me be the first to recommend you to a couple very upstanding growers. One is chileplants.com. Great folks who won't do you wrong. We have a member here on THP called Jaunitos who, although I have never personally purchased from, his reputation with those whom I have purchased from and gotten to know say he is the man. If you want to start from seeds, the list of respectable growers on this site are endless.

I purchased the plant from a local guy who had extras. The two remaining pods are bigger, one the size of a large grape and the other a bit smaller than a golf ball maybe. We had a cold spell that slowed things down but I'm hoping the pods will ripen up given that the temps here have been in the high 80's and low 90's the last few days. 

Being one person mostly working by myself, I am always racing to get plants into the ground before they probably should.  So much to do, always looking for a head start.  Too cold, not hardened enough, and other things can do some very odd things to a plant.  When they put on pods before being moved outside, then get hit by a few nights of really cold temps some really wonky things happen.

So I wouldn't rush to judge the plants until a full wave of pods develop. Even then, chances are the guy made a mistake rather than tried to rip you off.

I figured it would be a mistake vs a rip off. Im probably just to excited for my own good. Ive got some white habs that are starting to pod up plus one good big hab. I just cant wait for some of the superhots to produce. Thanks for all the posts so far guys. Ill attach a few more pictures just to see of they help.
http://imgur.com/a/sS00X

don't believe you have reapers my friend ,

IMG_0934.JPG

reapers from last year ,
was the pod you and your wife ate , green ?

moruga welder said:
don't believe you have reapers my friend ,

attachicon.gif
IMG_0934.JPG
reapers from last year ,
was the pod you and your wife ate , green ?
Yes the one we tried was green and very small. The one in the pictures has turned red on the top so Im confident it will be something good. Ill post a picture in a minute
Heres a picture showing the pod turning red. A week or so till its ripe?http://imgur.com/IQlEW2I

I have miniature bells that are a similar size and shape, but the calyx is bigger. The calyx on your pepper looks more chinense than annuum to me, so I doubt it is a bell. I think it is probably a chinense. 

Back