• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Swampys Kiwi grow.

Hi guys

Greetings from New Zealand
We are about a month away from the shortest day so its almost time to start up some chillis.
This is my first real attempt at growing chillis so it should be fun.
I will be starting off under lights,then moving into a greenhouse that i have yet to build before moving them outside.
I have received all my seeds and just need to decide which ones and how many to grow.
These are what I have:

Numex Big Jim
Cayenne long Red
Jalapeno
Bhut jolokia
Red Habenero
Ancho ST Luis
Dorset Naga
Red 7 pot
Fatalli
Aji lemon drop
Naga Morich
Yellow Morich Scorpion
Bishops crown

Will keep you posted.  :)

Looking good. You may want to get the lights down closer to the plants when they pop. With CFL's you can get very close as they don't heat up like discharge lights do.
By the way...I had a similar greenhouse to the one you are going to buy and it is toast after Monday and Tuesday night's storms in Auckland! Hope the one you are buying is stronger!

Rush35 said:
Looking good. You may want to get the lights down closer to the plants when they pop. With CFL's you can get very close as they don't heat up like discharge lights do.
By the way...I had a similar greenhouse to the one you are going to buy and it is toast after Monday and Tuesday night's storms in Auckland! Hope the one you are buying is stronger!

I was actually think about that as the winds ripped through here bad so im going for a smaller one that can go against the house and is fairly sheltered.
Lights will be dropped down they stick their heads out  :)

Germ rate so far(12 days)

Dorset nagas         8 (9)   88%
Yellow scorpion      0 (9)     0%
AJi lemon drop       3 (7)    42%
big Jim                    3 (5)    60%
Cayenne                5 (5)    100%
Habanero               4 (6)    66%
bhut jolokia            4  (9)   44%

Swampy_NZ said:
Germ rate so far(12 days)

Dorset nagas         8 (9)   88%
Yellow scorpion      0 (9)     0%
AJi lemon drop       3 (7)    42%
big Jim                    3 (5)    60%
Cayenne                5 (5)    100%
Habanero               4 (6)    66%
bhut jolokia            4  (9)   44%

Where did you get the yellow scorp seeds from? I got some from trademe that so far have had 0% germ rate

nzchili said:

Where did you get the yellow scorp seeds from? I got some from trademe that so far have had 0% germ rate

Yeah,trademe.probably the same guy.Oh well my reapers and chocs should be here any day now  :)

Swampy_NZ said:

Yeah,trademe.probably the same guy.Oh well my reapers and chocs should be here any day now   :)
I take it back, one of the yellow scorps has germd just today after at least a month in the pellet. :dance:

nzchili said:
I take it back, one of the yellow scorps has germd just today after at least a month in the pellet. :dance:
Ok cool,i will keep them going   :)

Edit:Just check and have two Scorps hooking as well as a few more Bhuts.Good times

gasificada said:

It begins! :party:

Any updates on the beds? Looks like a nice little grow area!
Im just waiting on a truckload of topsoil to arrive but most of these peppers will be going into large pots and into a greenhouse  :)

Them little ones are going great guns, mate! :party:

No surprises, though, looks like you know what you're doing. Even if it's your first real grow of chillies, I take it you've grown other stuff before?

Swampy_NZ said:
Yes,grew a certain herb indoor for many years.   :)
tumblr_inline_n4w7clYduw1rstk3u.jpg

Swampy_NZ said:
Coming along nicely.I got a fairly decent germ rate in the end except for the yellow Morugas (3 from 9) and had about 6 that were helmet heads that didn't make it.
Repotting into 1 ltr pots tonight.

nice work, those look to be growing much faster than mine lol, they look nice and green to :)

Back