• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Swarming Midges

Over the last several days the swarms of midges in my area have become massive. They're EVERYWHERE, and trying to keep them out of the house is a losing battle. These aren't the biting kind, so at least they don't pose a health hazard from that perspective.And at least the cat is having fun with the ones that do manage to get into the house.

My question is whether I should be concerned with the midges on my pepper plants. Since the term "midge" actually covers a wide variety of critters, it's hard to tell from the articles I've read if they're a threat to the pepper plants or not. I don't think they are, but this being my first year growing peppers, wanted to ask for input. I'm in the greater Cleveland, OH area, BTW, and here is a recent news link on them: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/weather/weather_news/pesky-insects-invade-northern-ohio-again

Argh, they are called Canadian Soldiers, perhaps Canadians should best answer your question.... I would help but I've never heard of the silly little buggars.
Where I am from, if it flies, it can be eaten and at this time of year, with winter fast approaching all birds, bats and critters are looking to eat anything that moves.

For a second I looked at the title and I thought it said "swarming midgets" LOL Umm thats all I got. I dont know anything about midges :(

Yep - they're flies that look like mosquitos. However, they're not Canadian Soldiers - that's a misnomer. They actually lay their eggs in Lake Erie and hence hatch out of the lake (and other bodies of standing water.)

pretty sure they are whats commonly refered to as "Fungus gnats". do a google search on em

General consensus is they are a problem for small and developing plants. large established plants people tend not to worry

"Indoor gnats, which are also known as fungus gnats, are not only annoying. Their larvae feed on plant stems and roots and can cause considerable damage to seedlings and small plants"

http://www.plantsseeds.com.au/how-to-get-rid-of-indoor-gnats/

Nope - they're not "indoor" pests (and not fungus gnats), but just happen to get in the house a bit. Look at the link I provided up above. This is a twice-a-year thing here, so we definitely know what they are. But I appreciate the effort! :)

Back