• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Sweet Twister? Anyone Know?

My wife just grabbed a bag of these at the store. They were, as advertised, one of the sweetest (if not THE sweetest) peppers I've ever had. Quite satisfying.

They are also huge.

Any ideas if they're an available variety, or a hybrid?

7UBhI6Z.jpg

Definitely not tasting/seeing any Shishito, but that doesn't mean it isn't there! It reminds (morphology) me of the Toro do ??? Italian peppers, but bigger.

Has that kind of candy taste that a Jimmy Nardello's might have.

Yep, I'm out in Southern California for a few years getting some culinary experience, but I fully intend on going back to Austin to start my own company as soon as possible.

Cool, Dustin. Be good to have you back here. Love the food scene 'round here. Just keeps getting better. I've been here almost 20 years, and the food is fantastic. Can't get into some of my old favorites anymore with all the people! But that's okay.

I *think* I've got a pair of chefs that are going to source some of my crop this year for small parties. Should be interesting and I'm hoping to crash at least one of them. :)

I also get what I think are Ancient Sweets at a local store. Whatever they are they are very sweet and quite tasty. The largest I have seen is almost 18in long. My son says they taste like if you crossed watermelon with a banana pepper and he is right!

Hey Dustin I see you are in my old stomping grounds, Haven't been able to get back there for a visit in a very long time, you doing a little surf and turf cooking?
Eephus that pepper is most likely a hybrid, but it reminds me though of a fully ripe giant Aconcagua pepper or a hybrid of it and a giant red Marconi both are very sweet when ripe. I'm not familiar with any of Sunset's produce so I just have to wing it.

Hey Dustin I see you are in my old stomping grounds, Haven't been able to get back there for a visit in a very long time, you doing a little surf and turf cooking?
Eephus that pepper is most likely a hybrid, but it reminds me though of a fully ripe giant Aconcagua pepper or a hybrid of it and a giant red Marconi both are very sweet when ripe. I'm not familiar with any of Sunset's produce so I just have to wing it.

I grew Aconcaguas a few years ago, and you mentioning it *definitely* makes me think that could be a parent to these things. They were sweet and very large. These things are bigger, but not by a long stretch. Thanks!

Man you are alive!! Thank goodness!
I have seen, in the pepper aisle at CM up here some similar looking really large long peppers. About hand length. They don't have them all the time, they sub these in the Fresno bin when they are out. I wish I could remember the name. Next time I see them I'll let you know. You might have some down there. Looks like you could stuff those with something really hot and some cream cheese and some bacon and have wicked poppers!

Back