• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Sweetcorn

I just put some Sweetcorn seeds out on damp paper to germinate them, and to be honest they look like cheap white corn flakes.
I have grown sweetcorn before, but the seeds didn't look this dried out last time. The variety is Mirai White, is this normal, or should they look more like popping corn?

sweet corn lack the normal gene (su) for starch production and as a result the seeds store more sugar, less starch, and they shrivel up when they dry.

Thanks for that.
So I haven't been sold a load of rubbish then!

So does that mean that the more shrivelled the seed the sweeter the corn is likely to be?

So does that mean that the more shrivelled the seed the sweeter the corn is likely to be?

that's the way it's supposed to go. my concern is whether your location will provide the plants with adequate solar intensity to sugar-up properly. The UK isn't exactly known for sunny summers...

that's the way it's supposed to go. my concern is whether your location will provide the plants with adequate solar intensity to sugar-up properly. The UK isn't exactly known for sunny summers...

lol you are dead right there!
Although they do happen occasionally..
I actually bought the seed to plant in my new house in southern Spain, but there have been so many delays I haven't been able to prepare the garden.
You need a %&$%#* permit for everything.

Amazing (to me anyway) those seeds only swelled up enough to resemble rice crispies, but they actually germinated!

I got 20 out of 25 sprouted, they are a 72 day variety, would it be safe to sow a 76 day variety now?
I have been told that the supersweet ones shouldn't cross pollinate.

Back