• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Sweety Drop Peppers

Well they're either annuums or baccatum, and some sort of aji, they originate in peru, which I'm sure you've learned too.

I would search through teardrop shaped ajis like aji dulce amarillo.

You're likely not going to find their cultivar, but you can find close :)

Slizarus said:
Well they're either annuums or baccatum, and some sort of aji, they originate in peru, which I'm sure you've learned too.

I would search through teardrop shaped ajis like aji dulce amarillo.

You're likely not going to find their cultivar, but you can find close :)

To small to be an aji, they where less then a cm in length.

I just found them, they are also known as Incan Red Drops, yes you where right, they are a baccatum  :party: 

scotchnaga85 said:
To small to be an aji, they where less then a cm in length.

I just found them, they are also known as[/size] Incan Red Drops, yes you where right, they are a baccatum  :party:[/size] [/size]
There's no way those are incan red drop if they are sweet, I grow Inca red drop every year and they are not even remotely sweet, they are delicious, but not sweet! And several ajis are quite small

My google searches have yielded 3 strains of Capsicum chinense that have fruit morphology and color nigh-identical to the "Sweety Drop" pepper. They are:
-- Beni Market 543205
-- Santa Rosa Blanca
-- Cheiro Recife

The heat ratings varied from website to website, with most describing the heat as mild or non-hot. Scoville heat units, when cited, were mostly 500-1,000 shu.

Geographic origins given were Peru, Bolivia, and Brazil, with at least one site citing Pueto Rico, and one site showing an 'Aji Dulce' with the tailed-globe ( or 'teardrop' ) morphology of the Sweety Drop.

The plant morphology of this type of C. chinense interests me -- a low-growing, somewhat dwarfish habit, or so the authors frequently implied. The Yucatan and Peruvian White Habaneros are apparently grow on a similar scale

I'm a pepper newbie with some previous indoor experience with fluorescent lights, interested in indoor fruit production during winter. Since space is at a premium, smaller plants with a shallower leaf canopy are preferred... can anyone recommend a thread or two?
Does anyone have any other suggestions?

scotchnaga85 said:
I was recently served a salad with these in them at work. Though not hot they still pack a lot of flavour and i wouldn't mind growing some myself.

I can't seem to find much information about the chili itself and how to acquire some seeds.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sweety+drop+peppers&safe=off&rlz=1C1DSGS_enGB523GB536&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=GonNU-WBEcvY7AbxxYCQBw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1130&bih=633&dpr=1

Has anybody else tried them?
I haven't tried them, but why didn't you save some seed from the ones in your salad? Seems like the best way to get the same cultivar.

they look like they might be AJI CHUPATINHO and i think that makes them a Baccatum species
kinda looks almost like the same principal process as PEPPADEW but with a different pepper

Try calling the company that processes them. Maybe you can get some pods (or seed) before they process them. I would be interested if you ever do track down some seed. Sounds like a good one to grow. I experimented a lot this year with mild peppers on my salads. Mostly Aji varieties. Starfish taste good on a salads too. Good luck

Full name
Gandules Inc. S.A.C.

Headquarters
Av. Del Pinar 198, Piso 3, Urb. Chacarilla del Estanque; Lima; Lima; LIMA 33

Tel: (1)6270300

I erred somewhat... one website recently told me that "Beni Market" scores 30-50,000 SHUs. I cited "500-1,000...", in a previous posting.

Anyway, could the pepper in question be the Biquinho -- a Capsicum chinense ?

mikeg said:
I erred somewhat... one website recently told me that "Beni Market" scores 30-50,000 SHUs. I cited "500-1,000...", in a previous posting.

Anyway, could the pepper in question be the Biquinho -- a Capsicum chinense ?

I've been looking for those Sweety Drops for a while now. I ordered red and yellow Biquinho seeds for this year grow. Their description corresponds with what I have tasted.

So we will find out by september/october 2015. :party: 

Sweety Drop are not sold fresh, seeds are not viable. I first tasted those in pasta in a restaurant and none of the 30-40 seeds I kept germinated.

Just for the halibut I also tried to germinate the seeds from a jar of these I purchased from igourmet. They are good, but no luck with germination.  :beer:

They look a lot like my Chupetinhos from last year.  Very easy to grow in a container, prolific sweet and somewhat hot.  Also the only seeds I've been successful germinating from last year.

Got from Chiliiplants.com

Back