• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

T5 Feedback

I have been waiting to purchase a new set of T5s for this winter/early spring, as we are still in the growing season, but I just noticed a deal on Woot for a 4 ft 4 tube fixture for $80 and $5.00 shipping. Does anyone have any prior experience with these lights?

4-Foot 4 Tube T5 Fluorescent Fixture

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thinking real hard about this one - most 4 ft 4 tubes I've seen have been $120-130

Thanks!

outlaw said:
I have been waiting to purchase a new set of T5s for this winter/early spring, as we are still in the growing season, but I just noticed a deal on Woot for a 4 ft 4 tube fixture for $80 and $5.00 shipping. Does anyone have any prior experience with these lights?

4-Foot 4 Tube T5 Fluorescent Fixture

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thinking real hard about this one - most 4 ft 4 tubes I've seen have been $120-130

Thanks!

That's a really good deal, I bought a 6 tube set for double that price off woots parent site amazon. It really depends on how many plants you was going to have under them and what size they are.

For seedlings, you probably only need 2 tubes going at one time from what I've learned. And the fixture should stay pretty close between 4 and 12 inches but not close enough to scorch them. Any closer can really put a hurting on them. I learned that even though you might have 6 bulbs, doesn't mean you should use all 6 at one time.

For plants that you've just started and just wanted to keep them growing, this will be a great set up but you would want to get a second set of bulbs from the start. These fixtures are super bright, and I mean they really light up a house but if you have a lot of plants or just a couple really bushy ones It can get kind of crowded under the single fixture. Even though I have the 6 bulb, I see this deal and I might get me one.

Now for plants that have been growing all summer and want to over winter them after you strip them down a bit you might be able to get them down to a manageable size to slow their growth while still pumping out the few pods you have on there already.

Naturally, it depends on how many plants you're trying to put under them. If you have 50 3-gallon pots, uuuh good luck with that.

Well I ended up pulling the trigger...real hard to pass up an almost a 30% discount from $120ish down to basically $80. Hopefully the lights end up being reliable and dont have any issues.

Thats one more thing I can check off for my ongoing 2015 prep :woohoo:

Thanks for the responses

I am of no help but thanks for the heads up on that website..never heard of it before and there are crazy deals on that site..thanks..;)

willard3 said:
One of the big drawbacks about home depot is you have to go to home depot to buy them.

Hah, this. As a former granite polisher, I always feel sorry for them when I wander through the kitchen renovation department. Or ask anyone, in any department, a question unrelated as to how to find (IF, it is not something specific) and purchase something.

Back