• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

T5 Grow Light Deal

Hey Everybody,

I don't know how many are in need of T5 lights here but I just got a great deal. A Hydrofarm Designer Series 4' 8 bulb light for $205 Shipped free! The 4' 6 bulb light is $167 Shipped.

These have a 5 year warranty, include the 6500k bulbs and they are powder coated a nice brown and are pretty sleek looking. You have to use a coupon code so if they get a bunch of orders they might pull the deal... So order sooner than later if you need one. Anyway if you want to take a look here is the link:

HydroFarm 4' 8 Bulb T5

Coupon at check out is GIFTED for $25 off of $200. The 6 bulb light will need a different coupon since it is under 200, use BK-6259 or YP-6389 for 10% off.

Oh, the picture shown is wrong. It's showing the commercial series in white, here is what the Designer series looks like:

HydroFarm

Also this appears to be a larger web chain superstore as they sell baby stuff, furniture, sporting goods and optics as well. It's not a hydro shop running out of a teenager’s bedroom with a generic website. (No offense to enterprising teenager’s running hydro shops out of there bedroom .... of course) Heheheh

Hope this helps a few of you start several million seedlings for next year. LOL

I recently bought the 4 foot 6 bulb model at my local hydro store and paid about $200 so you did find a good deal.
As for the light, it seems well made. Mine has 2 switches so you can run either the 2 center bulbs, the outer 4, or all 6. Also has a receptacle on the end to daisy chain more lights but I use it to power a small fan.

These are well made lights. I used one to start seedlings this season and they do a fine job.

I have another on the way due here the 14th. Great deal Beaglestorm, thanks for posting this.

how big of an area do they cover? Just the 48" X 26"?

I use mine in a mylar lined box 22"x50.5" to provide light for 4 standard seed flats.

I used a 4x4 this season and am upgrading to a 4x6.

I use mine in a mylar lined box 22"x50.5" to provide light for 4 standard seed flats.

I used a 4x4 this season and am upgrading to a 4x6.

This is exactly what I want to try and do this season. I was going to build a 51 x 27 mylar lined box. Do you use a heat mat also or do the lights provide enough heat inside the box? I also found a good deal ona 48" heat mat but don't know if I need it. I remember reading that AJ currently uses the lights as his heat source in his. Wondering if this is as warm or warmer than all those CFL's he currently uses. Also, I only need about 150 seedlings so do you think it would work if I germinate them directly in 3" pots? I would like to growm them to 8" - 10" before transplanting outside. I would love to avoid having to keep potting up.

This is exactly what I want to try and do this season. I was going to build a 51 x 27 mylar lined box. Do you use a heat mat also or do the lights provide enough heat inside the box? I also found a good deal ona 48" heat mat but don't know if I need it. I remember reading that AJ currently uses the lights as his heat source in his. Wondering if this is as warm or warmer than all those CFL's he currently uses. Also, I only need about 150 seedlings so do you think it would work if I germinate them directly in 3" pots? I would like to growm them to 8" - 10" before transplanting outside. I would love to avoid having to keep potting up.

Yes, I use heat mats controlled by a thermostat and don't turn on the lights until the seeds begin to emerge. Once they pop the heat mats are turned off because the thermostat doesn't ever let them turn back on anyway once the lights are turned on 24/7 and providing plenty of heat. You could use the lights for heat if you wanted, it's just cheaper to run 17W heat mats and bottom heat seems to more evenly heat the starting medium.

This season I only used two 72 cell seed flats, but this next season I plan on starting 4 flats, then selecting the strongest plants for transplanting to 2.5"x2.5"x3.5" pots. That will give me 4 flats of 32 plants (128) under the lights and more than I really need. ;) After the daytime weather warms I move them from the 2.5" pots to #1 (3 quart) pots and start hardening them off and bringing them in at night. Then around the end of May or first of april they get planted in the ground or transferred to #5 (3.9 gallon) pots.

Here's a link to my simple little grow box.

My 4' - 8 tube light was just delivered. It looks a lot bigger than I expected... even though I already knew what the dimensions were. It arrived double boxed and in good shape with no broken bulbs. The brown tone of the light looks very nice and helps to soften the industrial look of these types of lights. I hope everybody else has a good experience as well. Now to build the grow box...

I just ordered the 4' 6 tube light, the first code listed is expired but the second code YP-6389 still works, so it was ~$167 with no tax and free shipping like you said. Seems like a really good deal after shopping around online, they are about $235-250 on amazon, plus some significant shipping costs I'm sure. I thought it was too big for my growing space but after checking the dimensions it should fit, it's only 18.5" wide and my space is about 24" wide. I'm probably going to return the two double T12s I bought, but maybe I'll just keep them since they were pretty cheap. I could keep a few slower-growing plants under them if it gets too crowed under the T5s.

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully things don't get too hot but my room is only ~60 degrees in the winter if I keep the door shut so if anything it should bring them temps up to be a more ideal level.

One note, their website apparently doesn't work with Firefox. It kept telling me I need to put in missing shipping information when all the shipping information was properly filled out. I switched to IE and it worked.

Just thought I would throw this out there too. Found these guys while searching around for a little bit the other day.

6 bulb 4 foot T5ho high bay fixture for $111

http://www.electricalmarketplace.com/6-Lamp-T5-Hi-Efficiency-Fluorescent-High-Bay-No-Lamps-P2309C317.aspx

Back