• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

T5 vs T12

Is it worth the extra money for a T5 light setup vs. T12. (I understand T12 are being phased out) I'm only looking at using one 4ft. 4 tube fixture in the grow stand I'm going to build to germinate and get seedlings started before being potted outside. It will be inside in a spare bedroom in a bay window.

I had a single T5 tube & dont think its worth the money. I had plants under 2 plant/aquarium bulbs from walmart and the plants under those grew better. Granted thats two lights vs one but it was still cheaper.

I haven't used T12's but have a 400 watt metal halide and a 4 foot 6 bulb T5. The wattage on the T5 is close to the MH wattage at 324 watts. After using both, I much prefer the metal halide as I can cover a much larger area with light for similar costs. If you are just starting seedlings and they will all fit under a 4 foot fixture then I'd probably give the T8 lights a try. Much cheaper than T5's and more light output than T12's.

for new seedlings i would think anything that deliver 6500K would be okay, i just bought a case of 10 T12 for $14.99.
i just use 2 CFL, 6500K, 15 watt equivalent pointing a my dwc plants and i see new growth everyday.
i have also done the full spectrum aquarium bulb and that work nicely too.
of course there not as good as the metal halide but i am not set up for that kind of lighting, nor would i spend the money.

I baught t8's to replace my t12's and the fixtures were the same price as t12's.
Bulbs were slightly more expensive in a smaller selection of K and lumens(Homey Depote).
To me i could get higher lumen bulbs in t12 though with a better selection of K.
I like to use several different k rated bulbs in the highest lumens for each I can get.
My peppers have no problem branching out and fruiting under fluoros.

The best bulbs I ever used were VI Tech 93F
6700K , 3240 Lumens , 40 watts , T10 run in t12 fixtures.
Can't find them anymore.

you are going to want a t5 fixture or some kind of HID fixture if you want to veg the plants for any extended amount of time.
if your just using them for seedlings a t 12 is great.

T5 uses less power then a t12 and are very powerful. I used a 150w setup on a saltwater tank and my corals could barely survive due to the intense heat and light.

Use 2 bulb 48" T-8 (32W) fixtures with 6500K bulbs in a double fixture per shelf setup. Fixtures are on chains so that I can adjust the height above the plant trays. All purchased from the local big box home center. Works just fine for peppers and tomatos. I could not find 48" T-5 bulbs and fixtures cheap. I like low wattage; I hate paying the $$ to the power company due to the amount of time they are running (16 hours a day) from Feb. thru April. Rather buy beer!!

The main difference between T5 and T12 is the power consumption versus the total light output. A 40 watt T5 bulb has more light output than a 40 watt T12. A 40 watt T12 bulb is in the neighborhood of 2200-2600 lumens, a 40 watt T 8 is about 3000 lumens, while a 54 watt T5HO has 5000 lumens. That is almost twice the bang for the buck if you can afford the initial investment. Also the T5 has a life of about 15,000 hours while only losing 5% light. The T12 has a life of 9,000 hours while losing 20% of its light output. This lumen output is at less than 1 inch from the bulb. IF you move the bulb to 6 inches you lose almost 25% of the intensity.

I use T12 lighting for my seedling stage. I have T5 for my growing stage before I put them outside. I have succesfully grown peppers under both T12 and T5 and there IS a diffenence. They WILL both work. However, an HID setup far exceeds the possibilities of fluorescent lighting. A 400 watt metal halide bulb has an output of 35,000-40,000 lumens. I have a 4ft 8 bulb T5 that uses 432 watts for a total of about 40,000 lumens. The T5 will only light what is directly under it. The MH has a much larger footprint and can be raised further away from the plant without losing as much intensity.To sum it up an HID setup is the most lumens per watt of electricity used and the light is much more intense at any given distance.

You need about 3000 lumens per square foot to achieve full growth of the plants and pods.

I hope this helps with the specifics!!

The main difference between T5 and T12 is the power consumption versus the total light output. A 40 watt T5 bulb has more light output than a 40 watt T12. A 40 watt T12 bulb is in the neighborhood of 2200-2600 lumens, a 40 watt T 8 is about 3000 lumens, while a 54 watt T5HO has 5000 lumens. That is almost twice the bang for the buck if you can afford the initial investment. Also the T5 has a life of about 15,000 hours while only losing 5% light. The T12 has a life of 9,000 hours while losing 20% of its light output. This lumen output is at less than 1 inch from the bulb. IF you move the bulb to 6 inches you lose almost 25% of the intensity.

I use T12 lighting for my seedling stage. I have T5 for my growing stage before I put them outside. I have succesfully grown peppers under both T12 and T5 and there IS a diffenence. They WILL both work. However, an HID setup far exceeds the possibilities of fluorescent lighting. A 400 watt metal halide bulb has an output of 35,000-40,000 lumens. I have a 4ft 8 bulb T5 that uses 432 watts for a total of about 40,000 lumens. The T5 will only light what is directly under it. The MH has a much larger footprint and can be raised further away from the plant without losing as much intensity.To sum it up an HID setup is the most lumens per watt of electricity used and the light is much more intense at any given distance.

You need about 3000 lumens per square foot to achieve full growth of the plants and pods.

I hope this helps with the specifics!!

If you have stuff laying around it's not worth it but to start out it is. You'll end up saving on the elec over time.

Back