• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

cuisines Taco Bell Ghost Pepper and Habanero Grillers

ColdSmoke said:
problem is you have to eat the TBell meat. I had the habanero one and I could actually taste habanero flavor but it was still gross because of the "beef"
Why would you eat at a place you dont like?

I had another one today and it was hot! and delicious 
Inside CNN Center they are 1.69$,,,,mebbe since they are ripping me on the price they put extra sauce  :P

:high:
Kevin

wayright said:
Why would you eat at a place you dont like?

Kevin

I don't eat their often and when I do I always stay away from the beef. The chicken is bearable, barely. 

laynlow said:
Oh don't get me wrong I agree 100%, but now "Ghost Pepper"  has become gimmicky everyone is going to rush to put produtct out with the name ghost pepper on it to sell, sell ,sell.  It's only a matter of time until we see a Carolina Reaper Whopper.
Or a Chocolate Bhutlah Sundae.

Recently I tried the ghost pepper grillers and even with extra sauce it wasn't hot to me. I took one in to work and I was told that it is surprisingly hot for fast food. From time to time I can buy small packages of ghost peppers in my local grocery store. The sauce in the grillers didn't taste like ghost pepper at all to me. It is nice to see more people trying to use ghost pepper in their food, but I really wish it would actually remind me of the taste of ghost peppers. It isn't just pure heat. The ghost pepper tastes almost fruity to me and it has a nice flavor. Sometimes habaneros taste a little sweet to me, but they often seem waxy to me and don't really have a lot of flavor.

i crave Taco Bell sometimes, not when I'm in the mood for Mexican food though lol anyhow, tried the ghost griller today, kinda yucky.

TrueNorthReptiles said:
Try a Caribbean Red Habanero. Loaded with flavor!

This is something I need to learn: how to get my hands on other kinds of hot peppers than just the ones I see in stores near me. It is what brings me here to the forum. I want to know how everyone does it. Growing my own seems like a good approach, but I have a cat and I can't put plants outside with my neighbors. It is going to be necessary to limit the number of pots I have going to my top favorites.

Inedible said:
This is something I need to learn: how to get my hands on other kinds of hot peppers than just the ones I see in stores near me. It is what brings me here to the forum. I want to know how everyone does it. Growing my own seems like a good approach, but I have a cat and I can't put plants outside with my neighbors. It is going to be necessary to limit the number of pots I have going to my top favorites.
Plenty of upstanding vendors here. You can get everything from top notch fresh pods to powders, seeds and sauces from the fine folks here.

Ideally, when I check the Marketplace, I will find someone who offers a nice variety pack so I can acquaint myself with all the hot peppers I keep reading about. I have only tried scorpions once and have never tried the Carolina Reaper. It would be nice to try Scotch Bonnets and I really want to taste the different colors of habaneros because I have only tried the orange ones. So far the ghost is my favorite pepper, and that is why products like Taco Bell's disappoint me so much.

Inedible said:
Ideally, when I check the Marketplace, I will find someone who offers a nice variety pack so I can acquaint myself with all the hot peppers I keep reading about. I have only tried scorpions once and have never tried the Carolina Reaper. It would be nice to try Scotch Bonnets and I really want to taste the different colors of habaneros because I have only tried the orange ones. So far the ghost is my favorite pepper, and that is why products like Taco Bell's disappoint me so much.
Orange habs are pretty rank to me. Bottom of the barrel. Sicman has some killer fresh pods and Joyner's Hot Peppers has the best powders. Any varieties in particular that you are looking for?

I tried the ghost pepper griller at taco bell today and laughed my spouse says why you laughing I said a new born could eat this....

I think they're good.  Not terribly hot but still enough noticeable heat compared to some other fast food joints that put out "ghost pepper" items.  I agree that the Doritos inside the griller is weird though.

In the aftermath I always question what makes me think eating Taco Bell is a good idea.  "Taco Bell!  what a great idea!"

ChileHeadCliff said:
Had a less than stellar production so far this season. But point being that they really needed to let some of these flavors speak for themselves. To me this shenanigans ranks right down there with the Wendy's ghost fries.
The thing these big companies don't get about food as a whole, and especially spicy food, is that it's about flavor. I'm sorry, but you can only get real taste from small producers that take their time and perfect the craft. These mass produced cookie cutter foods just don't measure up.

JayT said:
Baby steps are happening people. We should be glad that they are even trying. Once they realize that there are many of us out there, there might be something hot for us at all the FF joints. To me, still, the best is the spicy chicken at Wendys. Of course I add more hot stuff to mine, but its a damn fine start.
This is exactly where I stand.  These chains have a hard enough time making things that people will keep coming back for.  Most people I know think jalapenos are really hot and a habanero is death.  It must be hard to put much money into developing something with "real" spice because you know your demographic is very small.  We are a small few that line up for punishment.  Most sane people react to afterburn with aversion to what did it lol.  We keep coming back for more thinking, "eventually my stomach will get used to this right?"  
      Hell I still don't wear gloves when I chop all of my peppers up and I always forget to wipe my but with my knife hand.  I'll get it eventually, or I will just have to start wearing gloves lol.

Back