• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Tap water pH and nutrient question.

My tap water is a pH of 8. I think I read somewhere on here that distilled vinegar could be used to lower it. What is the ideal pH? I think I'm experiencing an Iron defficiency.
DSCI0001_zps98a5117b.jpg

This pic doesn't show it that great. I have a couple Douglah's that have it worse. It's all the new growth on top, and it's starting subtle. They're in Happy Frog potting soil, so I don't think it's lacking any thing, just not getting all it could, ya know. Thanks for any help, , ,

I adjust my water to 6.5. I would think vinegar should work, but I've never tried it. I have used lemon juice though, and had no problems.

yeah, i don't want to use anything that would hurt that plants, but i also don't want to buy some expensive stuff if vinegar will work just fine. Lemon juice make sense too.

ideal ph is anywhere from 5.5-6.5 imo. but even the low to mid 7's isnt the end of the world.

the only way to know is to test the runoff.

what is in happy frog? im guessing its not much. you will want to fertilize them or start top dressing with osmocote or some such thing.

from what i can see, looks like they could use some calcium and nitrogen, and probably everything else.

yeah, i don't want to use anything that would hurt that plants, but i also don't want to buy some expensive stuff if vinegar will work just fine. Lemon juice make sense too.

what is the alkalinity of your water? vinegar is awful for lowering ph.
if you want cheap buy gallon bottles of "muriatic" acid at home depot. they are around 5 bucks a gallon and will probably last you like a year. its 100% safe, you will have to test your water to see what application rate is appropriate for your waters alkalinity. i use something like .8ml/1 gallon.
you need a plastic pipette or something, and for the love of god keep it out of your eyes. its not instant blindness by any means, but you will be running to the ER for emergency care. its meh on skin... i dont bother wearing gloves, just keep a hose nearby. i get the stuff on my skin all the time, it wont hurt you unless you are slip-n-sliding through it.

if you want wholsome and cheerful organic stuff you might look for pure citric acid. it costs way more, and will take something like a tsp per gallon. probably last you months depending.
http://www.ebay.com/...777885618&ps=54

well, i keep getting different responses about Happy Frog. According to their site it has earthworm castings, bat guano, and composted forest humus. I've heard from some people who say I shouldn't need to use any ferts at all. I have Fish Fertilizer from Alaska, it's 5-1-1, and I have Vegan Plant Booster, it's by Florablend, and it's .5-1-1. I havent' really used either one yet. I repotted most of my plants into bigger pots, and moved them a little farther away from the lights. They seemed to rebound really well so far, just starting to look deficient now.

hey quee, my water is 8

Your soil will help buffer some of the inconsistencies with your water PH. The ferts is Happy Frog should last several months before the plants use up whats in it. I use crab shell powder by Neptunes Harvest for my source of calcium and magnesium and it seems to be working great so far. You can also try Cal Mag which allot of growers on here use. Other than the puckering your plants look nice.

Lack of calcium

Maybe. But I've seen tons of my own pepper plants and other peoples glogs look very similar when growing inside over the winter. The plants grow out of it.

GH sells a pH Down bottle for $10.00 or less and it only takes a little bit to drop the pH. Might be worth looking into at your local hydro shop.

Back