food Tarpon fishing and shrimping leftovers

Went tarpon fishing and did a little bit of shrimping too on the 8th. Bought 5 dozen hand picks (big ones) of live shrimp. We caught maybe about 20 good sized shrimp too.  Caught 2/5 hits and brought them to the boat with a safe release. Once it hit 3:30am, I decided it was time to bring it home so I could wake up at 7 for work. We had about 25 shrimp to cook up so we just ripped off the heads and cooked them in some garlic and rosemary....no pictures but delicious. Here's a picture of a jump by the boat of the first fish and a video release of the second.
splash.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO-PcVspEDM&feature=youtu.be

The next day, I used the heads and a mirepoix of onions, carrots and celery and bay leaf to make a nice shrimp broth. Added some hot powder and smoked paprika. Ground it all up in the vitamin and strained it into a broth for some pressure cooker risotto seen below.  Fresh basil, shrimp and parmesan added at the end.
risotto.jpeg

Next day risotto isn't good for anything but frying...so i added some panko and smoked pepper salt and bam!

risottocake.jpeg

Its 15 degrees here right now with a 20 mph wind.  This kind of post is quite depressing.   Great catch and good looking food.  Hope to do some surf fishing in July when we hit the beach up in the panhandle.

jcw10tc said:
Its 15 degrees here right now with a 20 mph wind.  This kind of post is quite depressing.   Great catch and good looking food.  Hope to do some surf fishing in July when we hit the beach up in the panhandle.
Is surf fishing like beach fishing in the surf or do you mean literally on a board fishing? lol I've seen SUP (standup paddle boarders) fish out in the ocean catching monster catches

BigB said:
Is surf fishing like beach fishing in the surf or do you mean literally on a board fishing? lol I've seen SUP (standup paddle boarders) fish out in the ocean catching monster catches
On the beach.  I would just fall off one of those boards.  Fish for sharks and use a kayak to take bait out several hundred yards, but kayak is about all I can manage, no standing up in the waves.  Won't even take the kayak if the surf is over 3 foot.  When you live 1000 miles from salt water don't get much practice in that but take every opportunity that I can.

jcw10tc said:
On the beach.  I would just fall off one of those boards.  Fish for sharks and use a kayak to take bait out several hundred yards, but kayak is about all I can manage, no standing up in the waves.  Won't even take the kayak if the surf is over 3 foot.  When you live 1000 miles from salt water don't get much practice in that but take every opportunity that I can.

Definitely. I live with my parents, but I'm lucky to have grown up living on the water. I never fished from the dock because it was always catching boring little fish...but recently when I was studying for the MCAT and didn't have time to go out fishing, i spent the night on the boat off the dock and caught a 6.5 ft nurse shark. Even more recently, I almost caught a tarpon off a live mullet dangling from he outrigger at the dock too. that was exciting

I stayed at a campground in the FL Keys once and while walking along the dock to the shower room one night, I looked down and saw a hammerhead shark that was probably 13-15ft long.  It was literally right beside me as I was walking.  You never know what is swimming around those docks.

The Keys.

mrs. blues and I are overdue for a trip to Marathon.

Last trip we rented a house on a canal for a week that had a nice pool.

I could soak and watch the manatee's graze by and watch the snook smack bait.

She pissed me off though.

She out fished me.

She caught a bigass cobia that rocked on the grill!

Back