• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Tasteing vintage sauces

So I've got a ton a vintage sauces that are 6+ years old. Many of the vinegar based red have discolored, and look down right nasty. Many of the higher end (in the late 90's)sauces that weren't vinegar based actually still look like their in pretty nice shape. Color looks good, no if any evaporation. They look consumable. For the past 6 years of so, these have all ben stored in covered boxes untouched in my basement. I'd guess it's a cool 60-62 degerees F.

Just looking at somoe of this stuff as I pull it out to photograph, some of it makes me want to try it. I proabably won't, but it does look ok to eat. Sooner or later when I come to them, I've got a 'flight' of Melinda's sauces when they used to be dated from like 1994-1999. It could make for an intereeting taste test. I belive I have several of those dated Dave's sauces starting in 1994 to 1999 as well, amongst others....

My question is, what is the 'oldest' sauce you've tasted, and was it still good?

I stay away from old sauces. But The oldest thing I've had was bubble gum from a comic book card wrapper that was from 1975...the 30+ year old gum turned to dust while I was chewing it.....BLAH!!!

imaguitargod said:
I stay away from old sauces. But The oldest thing I've had was bubble gum from a comic book card wrapper that was from 1975...the 30+ year old gum turned to dust while I was chewing it.....BLAH!!!

Hahahaa I had the same thing happen to me. I bought a pack of old ninja turtles trading cards that were dated 1986(the year I was born) that for some reason they were selling at the front counter of this Chinese restaurant. They came with a piece of gum, so I figured why the hell not. Well, it was f'ing gross and disintegrated into nasty gum powder. I'm in much better shape after 22 years than that gum was ;)

I think the oldest one I ever tried was about a 9-10 year old Satan's Blood. That however, is pure extract so I think it has a much longer shelf life. I wouldn't trust 6 year old sauce that contains any vegetables or fruit.

Back