• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flavor Tastiest Chocolate/Brown Medium to Hot

One newbie to another, why not try one of each of the more distinct varieties? By that I mean, a naga type for the less Chinense flavor, a bonnet/hab type and the fatalii. Not speaking from experience but the brown morouga is one of the extremely hot supers (so I've heard). Anyway that's my two cents. I am actually in much the same position as you, I tried to germ some chocolate scotch bonnets last year unsuccessfully, but got my hands on a few other brown/chocolate types for '15. The colors and flavor and subtle differences in foliage and all that is interesting to me as well, curious to see which way you go with this.

East Texas Heat said:
One newbie to another, why not try one of each of the more distinct varieties? By that I mean, a naga type for the less Chinense flavor, a bonnet/hab type and the fatalii. Not speaking from experience but the brown morouga is one of the extremely hot supers (so I've heard). Anyway that's my two cents. I am actually in much the same position as you, I tried to germ some chocolate scotch bonnets last year unsuccessfully, but got my hands on a few other brown/chocolate types for '15. The colors and flavor and subtle differences in foliage and all that is interesting to me as well, curious to see which way you go with this.
Germinating:
Brown Maruga
Chocolate Habanero
Chocolate Fatalii
Black Fatalii

Will probably also grow Jamaican Hot Chocolate & maybe Yaki Brown. I have seeds for, but don't see any reason to grow Chocolate Maruga & Chocolate Bhut Jalokia given my other choices. 

Thanks everyone for the advice.
coachspencerxc said:
Germinating:
Brown Maruga
Chocolate Habanero
Chocolate Fatalii
Black Fatalii

Will probably also grow Jamaican Hot Chocolate & maybe Yaki Brown. I have seeds for, but don't see any reason to grow Chocolate Maruga & Chocolate Bhut Jalokia given my other choices. 

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Oh & Aji Panca too.

Looks like an excellent list to me! I will be growing a couple of these varieties coming up as well (fingers crossed I can hold off on killing them all as seedlings like the beginning of this season). It's difficult to say, but as others mentioned some of these varieties may just be different names for the same pepper. Regardless of what seeds your start it will be interesting to follow the journey from seed to ripe pods. Happy gardening!

For what it's worth, the brown color in chocolate peppers is not from a brown pigment. The color is the result of a red and a green pigment present together in the same pepper.

During ripening in a normally red-pigmented pepper, the green pigment (chlorophyll) is scrubbed from individual cells by the actions of a gene (designated the CL gene), as the red pigments are being produced.

Chocolate peppers have a recessive gene (designated cl) that fails to do this, and the chlorophyll remains.

Chlorophyll has a distinct taste, described by some as rank, bitter, "green", minty or chalky. This may have something to do with the difference in flavor between, say, a red hab and a chocolate one.

Admittedly, this is off-topic. However, it may be of interest to some. By the way, if you cut open a brown/chocolate pepper, you will notice that the 'white' parts (what we call the "placenta" on this forum) are actually flushed slightly red, as these tisses contain no chlorophyll.

TNKS said:
Most chocolates tend to work better powdered/flaked and yes it is a color reference as none taste like coca
Nooo, Chocolate morugas are the richest, tastiest chocolate flavor you can get next the cocoa beans.

mikeg said:
Chocolate peppers have a recessive gene (designated cl) that fails to do this, and the chlorophyll remains.

Chlorophyll has a distinct taste, described by some as rank, bitter, "green", minty or chalky. This may have something to do with the difference in flavor between, say, a red hab and a chocolate one.
Interesting. I didn't know. I've had slivers of chocolate morugas, Brown morugas & chocolate bhuts while nursing some stomach issues. I've eaten a few chocolate Fataliis & those are the only ones I'm really qualified to comment on. I really enjoy the taste of the chocolate fatalii. One of my favorites. Have some chocolate hab & yaki brown flakes from juanito's & like those as well.

Actually, it's funny how counter-intuitive taste and smell can be...

A friend bakes the very best ginger cookies. Ever. It seems that the barest trace of cayenne is the magic in them. You can't taste it directly, but it brings forth that fruity taste characteristic of raw fresh ginger that cannot ordinarily be retained through any but the gentlest of cooking processes.

To contemplate the truly weird: There is an essential oil called geraniol, found in many things... it is a major olfactory component of roses, strawberries and raspberries. Nice, huh?
It's also the primary odor component of geranium leaves, and a chemical precursor of the THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) found in marijuana.
Where this really gets weird is this: it's also an even greater odor constituent than hydrogen sulfide in the foul stink of human and dog feces! (In this case, the geraniol is not derived from vegetable sources, it's a by-product of bacteral fermentation).

So, yeah... chlorophyll, with it's comparatively faint and bland brackish taste, could significantly alter the complex bold flavor components of a hot pepper quite significantly.

I'll be growing Brown Congo from Mike and Jen (Buckeyepepper.com) next year, i have great expectations about it! ;)
If Bill gets tears i can't imagine what will remain of me!!! :D

Back