• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Tasting Pods

Just a question for you on how you taste. When you are going through all your pods, do you have a method to taste them? Do you pop a sliver, take a nice bite, or just give it a little "tongue" action??

I like to do reviews, but not every pod gets one. Repeat pods generally just get a taste and the not as important varieties take a backseat to the main event.

On the varieties I am not reviewing, I like to split it down the middle, pull the seeds, and cut a little sliver off. About a half inch by an eigth/quarter inch. This gives me enough to get s general idea of heat and flavor, and taste a few before I get blown out, palate wise.

Anyone do anything similar? What about those who have a different method?

I like to split them down the middle and dry the seeds in the pod, that way I have less of a chance of mixing my seeds up. I also take little 1/4" pieces working my way from the tip of the pod upward. I find the tips don't pack quite the punch that the rest does, probably due to less placenta. Then if i like the taste and get brave, I pop a half pod, and usually regret doing so the next morning.

I think for me it depends on what type the pepper is. If it's a superhot I will do like a quarter of the pod. If its more like a thai or birds eye I'll cut in half and remove seeds (I hate chewing on a million seeds) then just pop the whole thing.

I think for me it depends on what type the pepper is. If it's a superhot I will do like a quarter of the pod. If its more like a thai or birds eye I'll cut in half and remove seeds (I hate chewing on a million seeds) then just pop the whole thing.
I agree super 1/4
2012-07-30_18-51-19_323.jpg
just take your time to do reviews therefore you get a good and accurate opinion of the pepper cuz if you tried 2 or 3 in a row then your kind of working off a bite of the other peppers

If I'm not trying to hurt myself by eating it whole I cut it up and eat it with a meal. I start off with a small piece of the pod to get a true sense of the flavor/heat savor it for a minute then see how it goes from there. If I have cleaned my plate and am out of beer/milk (whichever I am drinking) and there is still a lot of pod left its pretty freakin hot. Also gives me a chance to see how it mingles with different flavors...

I generally cut about 1/4 the pepper, lengthwise, trying to get all parts of the pod including some placenta. I have seen too many folks bite the tip off a super and say "thats not that hot" and pop the rest of it in their mouth. This usually ends badly, btw.

Lol. I definitely think it is important to get a little of the whole pod. Can't accurately judge the pod without getting the whole experience.

I like your idea Shane, I think I gotta give that a try!

I cut chunks and taste them. I also compare how they taste dried to fresh. For example, I like habaneros fresh and bhut jolokias dried for flavor. I think the bhut jolokias are hotter fresh however.

I cut it in half to make sure there is no mold, then I eat the whole thing, then I throw it up 10 minutes later if it's too hot haha

I cut it in half to make sure there is no mold, then I eat the whole thing, then I throw it up 10 minutes later if it's too hot haha

I am fairly sure MGOLD was wanting to know how "normal" people do it, you sir are a freak of nature. So is anyone else who eats whole pods in my opinion though, I think I have done it twice, that was enough for me! :P

Back