event Tastings Super hot sauces at live events

What is the protocol here?

I'm gonna be taste testing a new sauce in the upcoming months at farmers markets and a few expo's...

4 of my sauces are hot, but not of the crazy suicidal variety. To pepper heads, they are pretty much standard fare, but to people not use to the spicy, they are considered hotttt..

This new sauce I am want to sample is a blend of scorpion & ghost peppers and probably 3x hotter than any of my others...

How do i convey this to people who want to try the hottest thing I have?
Is it simply taster beware? 

i get how everyone's pallet is different...

any special way i should deal with this? 

i am insured and licensed....am i in any danger should someone absolutely flip out due to the heat index of the sauce? am i liable in any way for anything?

just curious how to proceed.....

would love some stories from people who have done this as well..

I really dont think that anyone will hold you liable for a sauce being to hot, labeling is #1, but a waiver usually sends a pretty clear message that this is serious stuff, to birds with one stone. I think SalsaLady or LuckyDogHottSauce would be good resources on this one

Do a waiver for sure. That covers your butt. That way if want to be a show off its on them.

On a more personal note. I'd hit it like a sippy cup. Sounds good to me.

Haha...

Is there any waiver template you know of I could look at, or should i have a lawyer draft one up?

Like I had mentioned, I am insured...Should someone have a 'silly/crazy' reaction to the sauce, i'd send them to my lawyer/insurance company first

and i plan to at least give a verbal explanation of the hotness they may react to....

i just wanna be covered in case...

the idea of a waiver is actually kind of cool and could possibly draw much interest to the sauce....

To let people know how hot it is, reference it to something everyone knows.  It's 10x hotter than Tabasco, it's 4x hotter than Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Salsa, whatever... 

If you're sampling at a FM or where there's a lot of people, just have one sheet of paper on a clip board that says-
"I understand the sample of XYZ Sauce from Gemini Crow will probably be the hottest thing I've ever eaten and I acknowledge I'm a DumbAss for trying it."  Then have a whole bunch of blank lines for people to sign.  Don't need a separate page for every person.  :)

edit-spelling

That's what I'm leaning towards Ann. I found a 'waiver' online, and I am gonna break it up...It'll be funny.... :)

PRODUCT DISCLAIMER
I hereby agree & affirm that in exchange for the sampling or purchase of 'MRTAV' from GEMINI CROW SAUCE COMPANY, I agree to the terms & conditions set forth below:

1. Due to the extremely hot nature of this product, serious injury can be caused if applied to skin, eyes, or exposed body parts.

2. I have examined the ingredients of the product I am sampling or purchasing. I have no medical conditions that may be come aggravated, inflamed, or worsened from consumption of this product.

3. MRTAV is to be used at my own risk, and I understand the potential danger if handled improperly or directly consumed.

4. I hereo for myself and my successors, assigns, heirs, executors, administrators and representatives, hereby fully release, remise, acquit, and forever discharge GEMINI CROW SAUCE COMPANY & the ASSASSIN MEDIA GROUP, it's allied, affiliated, parent, subsidiary, and associated companies and their officers, directors, agents, attorneys, employees and servants from any and all claims, demands, actions, cause of action, damages, obligations, omissions, liabilities, transactions, transfers, happenings, violations, promises, contracts, agreements, facts or situation sd resulting from the use, misuse, consumption or sale of this product.

5. I am at least 15 years old, of sound mind and not under the influence of any drugs, alcohol or medications that would otherwise alter my ability to make decisions.

6. By signing this agreement, I agree fully to the terms and conditions set forth herein.

IN LAYMANS TERMS
* I understand that the sample or purchase of MRTAV from Gemini Crow may be the hottest thing I have ever tasted and I acknowledge that I am a dumb ass for trying it! *

SIGN HERE ___________________________________

Well, that would work.  :lol:

I like DumbAss (one word) better than dumb ass (which sounds like "stupid jerk" to me).  A DumbAss is not necessarily a jerk, just a DumbAss.  What do y'all think? 
:lol:

side note-  I was working on a bid today for a project called "Cooke-Ives home".  When labeling the file, I couldn't use the hyphen so I wrote it as "CookeIves"  looks like "cook elves"...:rofl:  
what can I say, I'm easily entertained~~~  :rofl:  :D

Just give them fair warning. If they still want it, give them a secondary heads up. If that doesn't work just give it to them, and watch the show (it's the fun part during a down time). Been doing it for years, at hundreds of locations, and with some products way hotter than what you are describing. If you make someone actually sign a 'waiver' to sample one of your products, and they don't find it hot, it will make you look incredibly silly, and they will just walk away. Unless you're using resiniferatoxin in your product, you have warned them properly, and they will get over it.

DEFCON Creator said:
Just give them fair warning. If they still want it, give them a secondary heads up. If that doesn't work just give it to them, and watch the show (it's the fun part during a down time). Been doing it for years, at hundreds of locations, and with some products way hotter than what you are describing. If you make someone actually sign a 'waiver' to sample one of your products, and they don't find it hot, it will make you look incredibly silly, and they will just walk away. Unless you're using resiniferatoxin in your product, you have warned them properly, and they will get over it.

You are right....Gonna ditch the waiver idea.....I just scared of some commoner big shot overreacting and such....

I agree w/ The Creator.  There will be those "icanhandleanything" numbskulls.  Warn 'em, warn 'em again...then watch the fun and say "I Told you So~~~".

Hopefully someone will have a camera rolling .... :lol:  

Back