• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Tea killed my seedlings...

Poored tea on rockwool, seedlings died
5jCeKF8.jpg

Don't use tea on seedlings... use in soil after plants mature... and are established.
Homemade tea can be pretty funky... needs a buffer and/or a strong plant to absorb imperfections in the brew..

AlphaHydroponics said:
Don't use tea on seedlings... use in soil after plants mature... and are established.
Homemade tea can be pretty funky... needs a buffer and/or a strong plant to absorb imperfections in the brew..
Good advice thanks. Have had pythium and cyanobacteria problems with hydro, what do you rec instead?

impending_bending said:
Good advice thanks. Have had pythium and cyanobacteria problems with hydro, what do you rec instead?
Tea will cause mold on your cubes, why they molded.  I use hydro nutes myself.  They work great for seedlings of clones.  General Hydroponics is what i use.  It also helps to put caps on top of those plugs if you can find them.

impending_bending said:
A few days. Yes its quite possible it did...

I use tea with seedlings as soon as they show their 3rd pair of true leaves. Looking at your setup, did you pour the tea on the plants in the corner or in the whole tray?

Looks like a murder case to me if it was poured and all the plants fed on it while only the ones on the side died.

jlacosta said:

I use tea with seedlings as soon as they show their 3rd pair of true leaves. Looking at your setup, did you pour the tea on the plants in the corner or in the whole tray?

Looks like a murder case to me if it was poured and all the plants fed on it while only the ones on the side died.
Just the ones I pored it on died. "Murder" case???

impending_bending said:
Just the ones I pored it on died. "Murder" case???
Was just suspecting that something else other than the tea killed the plants. But as you've said, the ones on the side got the full dose.

By the way, do you sow the seeds directly on rockwool? They look pretty vigorous. Planning to do the same.

jlacosta said:
Was just suspecting that something else other than the tea killed the plants. But as you've said, the ones on the side got the full dose.

By the way, do you sow the seeds directly on rockwool? They look pretty vigorous. Planning to do the same.

Yeah I put them is the rockwoool and use Canna starter nutes. Works great, just make sure you keep the pH in check at the start

full strength tea? if so it needs dilution
put 1 Chamomile tea bag in a 12-16oz cup of hot water(drink it)
then with the used tea bags do it a second time(don't drink it) 
then add this second cup of tea to 1 gallon of water
I used this to water my seeds, seedlings, full grown and everything in between

This dilution helps prevent damping off. Chamomile tea contains anti-fungal properties that offset any pathogens 

My opinion on teas/foliar feeding is run off is doing the stuff that is claimed to be obsorbed by the leaves.

I messed with TONS of crap over the years,starting in the 70's with Fish emultion and kelp as a foliar feed and ferts in low doses,often.

I think if your soil etc.(depending on your grow) is right you can't get better results by screwing around with all the latest MUST DO stuff.

Nature designed plants to do what they do-leaves do the photosynthesis thing,GOOD soil does it's thing.

I know Too many people who used tea on first year/new gardens and got great results BUT after the soil got built up Teas did nothing,same with foliar sprays after that.

They actually had to add potasium and phosphorous after the organics/soil breakdown sucked up the nitrogen.

To me,I think new gardens or potted plants in NEW bark based soil mixes benefit from teas or whatever ONLY until things break down so the plants can use the stuff you end up overdosing them with.

Most teas are nitrogen rich.Great for new soils that as they break down suck up nitrogen that ends up plant usable.
Once the soil gets it's thing together the stuff that sucked up the nitriogen turns into a time release nute.
Add Potasium and Phoshorous only and you get an even nute blend that puts out strong plants that do what you want.

I believe in using a nute blend in VERY light amount all through growth too.
I think plants use what they need ONLY.
Not force feeding them only certain things because you feel like it or the net says ya gota do it.
Overdosing Mag. causes a Ca. problem.Both are accepted by plants by the same receptors.

Do what you like,I guess.

I let my plants tell me when I screw up,not the internet in general anymore.
But I like my 1 watt LEDs.

Ask anyone ,they don't/won't work...

What works for me might suck for you.
Gotta do what your grow needs.
Nutes,lighting or whatever.
NOTHING is set in stone.

Back