• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Teaberry Farms - 2019 Glog

Will be watching for some great stuff here!
Welcome to the 2019 Grow Log season!

Wishing you luck! Pepper farming sure is an experience. What sort of field management are you going to do with regards to irrigation, weed management, etc?

TrentL said:
Wishing you luck! Pepper farming sure is an experience. What sort of field management are you going to do with regards to irrigation, weed management, etc?

With the new farm I still need to till and lay down silage tarps.  My initial guess is that I'll need to treat the new garden area with a heavy dosing of lime first due to the acidic soil, but I'll test the soil to see how much to add before that.  For the 1st year I will just have some IBC tanks and pump the water to the garden, my well is about 5-600 feet away from where I want to plant.  If we have the amount of rain that we did last Summer, I won't even need to worry about watering, but it was a freak year.  Only talking about 1/4 acre (for peppers and tomatoes) to start the 1st year then I'll expand each year.  I'll put another 1/4 acre in corn and another in other vegetables.  Still much clearing to be done.  I probably roll out black mulch in rows after I am finished with the silage tarps.  The existing raised beds will just be weeded at the beginning of the season and planted as needed.  I'll start small and grow into it, it's all new and I still have day job to keep me away.

First year tilled soil is going to be weed heaven! Ran in to that this year, our ground fabric shipment was lost so we hand weeded a heavy pressure on 1.5 acres (took a couple hours per row, was nasty). 

My best advice is don't wait to order anything you need, get it months in advance. :)

Sounds like you got a good idea starting small and growing out. Don't take on too much in one year, it was a nightmare for me last year - bit off too much. 

Of course this year I'm taking an even bigger bite, but I'm going in with some tools and procedures I didn't have last year. :)

Great advice from one who knows!

Back