Teaser Alert!

The Hot Pepper said:

Actually meco and morita are both smoked as red... the difference is the meco is smoke-dried longer, to a drier state, where the morita is more leathery. Meco has richer smoky flavors, so looking forward to this!

If you have smoked green ones called mecos, I learned something new. That happens a lot!
Interesting - maybe we're both learning something - the company I bought from as well as the local spice shop that turned me onto these (when I mentioned how I'm not a fan of the overly sweet chipotle notes) said the Meco was a green smoked jalapeño.  ETA: apparently that's not the case, according to my friend, the google machine. 

Maybe they're mistaken? Hmm - either way, they're right that the flavor is sooooooo much better.

Looking at the beige-light-greenish color of the Meco it would seem to be not a red jalapeño. ETA: nope - I was off, according to google.   

Do you plan a larger bottle for BBQ as well as the 5 oz?

No, it's not a BBQ sauce. I'd love to do all of my sauces in larger bottles but the cost of reconfiguring the production line for a larger bottle & then configuring it back would drive the price up substantially. 5 oz woozies for all my friends!

Don't worry the name will warm up to me. Just try to have it by Memorial Day, sounds like a good launch time for the grilling crowd. Wings, dogs, chicken, burgers. Good luck!
Oh for sure - it's dynamite with meats especially. Carnitas, brisket, etc.

When I post more ingredients you'll see why.
;)
Pfeffer said:
Sounds good! Will this one be available via the UK to Europe as well?
Chileheadz (UK) already commented on my FB post that they'll be bringing this in. Not sure of the timeline (they'll likely combine with their next full order) but the answer seems like a yes.
:cheers:

Found this: 

There are two types of Chipotles. The best quality chipotle (in my humble opinion) is stiff with a grayish-tan coloring and is best described as looking like a cigar butt. These jalapenos are smoked for several days which removes most of the remaining moisture. The heat of the jalapeno remains with the addition of a deep smoky flavor. This better quality chipotle is also known as Chile Meco and is sometimes referred to as Chipotle Tipico.
The other variety of smoked jalapeno can often be mistaken for (sometimes deliberately) is the smaller Morita chipotle, which translates to "little blackberry" in Spanish. Both the Meco and the Morita are smoked jalapenos; the difference is that the Meco is larger and is smoked about twice as long so it is not as leathery and pliable as the Morita. The result is that the Meco has a smokier more intense and richer flavor than the Morita.

In northern Mexico fully ripened red jalapenos are smoked in large pits on a racks constructed of bamboo, metal or wood. Another pit is built nearby that houses the fire and there is a connecting tunnel where drafts of air pull the smoke up and over the pods.

THP was spot on - Meco is smoked longer, and also apparently uses larger pods. 

I am a much much bigger fan of the Meco flavor personally. It's often more expensive, but that's an advantage as a very small sauce maker making very small batches - I can be more nimble than say, Tabasco when they choose to make a chipotle sauce. Any advantage over the big players I can get is a good thing, plus I think it makes for a superior chipotle product. 
:cheers: 

Just checked - I paid $4.30 more per lb for Meco than I would have for morita.  Overall it was about fairly minor difference spread out across the whole batch. Totally worth it. 

1526.jpg

How Chipotle Mecos are Smoked
In Central and Southern Mexico fully ripened red jalapenos are smoked in large pits on a racks constructed of bamboo, metal or wood. Another pit is built nearby that houses the fire and there is a connecting tunnel where drafts of air pull the smoke up and over the pods.

Meco Chipotles smoked in this traditional Mexican manner are much harder to find here in the US and tend to be more expensive than the more common Moritas. This doesn’t mean Chipotle Morita Chiles aren’t good they’re actually quite delicious. But if you've never experienced a Chipotle "Meco" you are in for a real treat!

I actually changed the label very slightly from yesterday to today - the image above was the print proof.

I went with opaque pinstripes instead of reflective.

The challenge is that reflective pinstripes appear silver, not white. The white pinstripes do a *much* better job of helping the brown to "pop", whereas silver pinstripes distract the eye from the chocolate brown and make the brown appear darker.

That's the whole idea behind a print proof - see it in natural light and determine what works and what doesn't. Highly recommended for anyone working with reflective labels.
;)

I don't have a new version to post, so y'all will have to wait until Monday night when I get back from the kitchen for the next teaser.

I should be able to tell you if the sauce sucks or not by then too.
:D

My box of chipotle mustard lucky dogs shipped door to door coast to coast in 48 hours.  Freakin amazing!  
When SWMBO is the first to rush and get the box of hot sauce open, you know the stakes are high. 

This sauce is delicious!  Wonderful sweet smokey chipotle flavor without the harsh aftertones common in nearly all chipotle sauces. 

The sauce shines in the usual LDHS style: rich texture, layer upon layer of synergestic flavors, with gentle heat that compliments the gustatory symphony of each bite.  

I immediately used some yellow moruga powder in one bottle, in an attempt to find the hotter brown label facsimile.  I see the potential in the hotter version of this sauce. 

The heat level is perfect for SWMBO, so I imagine that everyone will find this sauce approachable. 

What about the roasted garlic?  Will it be in the Brown2.0? 

I am presently running the numbers to see if I can afford the extra storage space to hoard this stuff by the pallet.  Get some while you can! 

Thank you LDHS for our new favorite chipotle hot sauce!    :cheers:  

Back