• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Temperatures for my babies!

Hi guys
Spring isn't quite as warm as usual here in Auckland - it's about 50-55 degrees Fahrenheit (10-13oC) here at night and then around 68oF during the day.
Once my seedlings have been hardened off - can they deal with this or is it too cold for them?
I'm buying a little tunnel greenhouse to get it up by like 5 degrees all round, hopefully but that's not for a couple of days.
Cheers
Adam

The search button is a crazy amazing tool.

Peppers, especially once hardened, can handle 50f like its their birthday. Great temps. Dont worry about the tunnel greenhouse, waste of money. Your current temperatures are perfect for growing right now.

Should start cranking up a bit soon in temp in Auckland anyway bro. Plus it never gets that cold up there. Your biggest issue will be wind (if you are near the coast and just about everywhere in Jafa land is a stones throw from the beach) and make sure you keep the roots nicely drained if you get those typical spring days of scrawly showers for days on end ...what part are you from??

I live in Mairangi Bay on the North Shore haha
Yep, it's fairly windy
They need to get bigger so I can give them a decent staking!!!!

OK sweet , wind will be a bit of a beearch but temps will be good especially over the next 5 months. What types are you growing??

Okay, what has actually germinated are - Rocoto, TS Moruga Yellows, TS Moruga Reds, Brain Strains, one small Douglah that has every bit of love I can muster, Peach Ghost Scorps, Scotch Bonnets, TS Oranges, Caribbean Reds, Trinidad Congos, Fatali, Jonah, Naga Moriches, Purple jalapenos and Anchos.
What I'm waiting for any day now - Butch T, 7 Pot Brown, Primos and HP22Bs.
Others I planted but just did not come up and I'm truly disappointed with are orange habs, chocolate habs etc.
I guess I'm not going to be short of heat though!

OK all long season Chinense. Nice selection just remember you will probably be waiting until Feb before you start seeing ripe pods. Best of luck with the season ahead bro.

Back