• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Temporary Greenhouse

I've been thinking, and indulging my longing for a real greenhouse. That's not going to happen this year, so I was batting around the idea of building a temporary greenhouse, or a seasonal one, or a portable one. I'm not sure what exactly to call it.

Anyway, what I had in mind was something that I could put up and take down without too much trouble. I was toying with the idea of making a frame of PVC with bolts at the joins, then covering it with plastic.

So, I was thinking of using 2 or 3 inch PVC for the frame, and smaller stuff for roof and side supports. It comes in 10 foot lengths, so the greenhouse would either be 10 feet on a side, or have 3 2 inch PVC posts to a side. I could even use some right angle and 'T' couplers for the roof framing. My thought was to make the north side a few inches taller the south so rain would run off easier. Snow isn't an issue, so all I need to do is make sure I have enough roof supports to keep large puddles from collecting on the roof.

A door is a bit tricky, not sure how best to do that.

I even thought I could set it up over part of the current pepper garden and give over-wintering some of the plants in the ground a try. I'd put black weed paper down on the floor, and hang 2 or 3 200 watt incandescent bulbs for cold nights. If it got too cold for the light bulbs - which it rarely does around here - I could easily set up a small ceramic heater to run for a couple of days.

So, advice? Derision? Suggestions? Experience? Encouragement? Envy? Lust? Gluttony? Sloth?

advice : sure

Derision : hmm got to look up wiki for that :?:

Suggestions : If you are going to use lights for heating might has well use CFL. They provide the same heat but will give beneficial light to the plants. 100 watt incandescent produce the same heat has 100 watts of CFL (almost a bit less actually).
You may want to check ebay for a cheap Metal Halide setup (I don't recommend HPS anymore for growing peppers).

Experience : Nope

Encouragement : Go for it Pam :?:

Envy : yes

Lust : nope

Gluttony : yummy peppers

Sloth : hmm got to look up wiki for that too.

I just picked up a plastic greenhouse last week from Bunnings (I think you call them big box stores)for $20. Its about 5' tall and 1 1/2 x 3' at the base. Comes with 4 removable shelves and a clear plastic cover that zips up at the front.
Original plan was to grow out my Bhuts, nagas, scorpions & 7's - two to a greenhouse (removing shelves) to keep the seeds pure.
While I'm waiting for them to grow out of the seedtray I'm going to use it for sprouting mass seeds...after a recon at the local farmers markets I noticed there were no chillis plants or products there at all.

habman said:
advice : sure

Derision : hmm got to look up wiki for that :?:

Suggestions : If you are going to use lights for heating might has well use CFL.

Compact florescent light? The little twirly bulbs?

They provide the same heat but will give beneficial light to the plants. 100 watt incandescent produce the same heat has 100 watts of CFL (almost a bit less actually).

Really?

* holds hand over compact florescent blub*

It doesn't feel real hot.

You may want to check ebay for a cheap Metal Halide setup (I don't recommend HPS anymore for growing peppers).

***RANT WARNING!****

I hate eBay. I mean, I really, really loath it. I mean I hate eBay. If I wanna buy something, I wanna buy, I don't want to fuck around with stupid bids and stupids accounts here and accounts here. And dammit, once I've bought and received an item, our relationship is over. Don't irritate me and nag me about some stupid rating. That's your issue, not mine. [/rant]

And,um, what is HPS?

bentalphanerd said:
I just picked up a plastic greenhouse last week from Bunnings (I think you call them big box stores)for $20. Its about 5' tall and 1 1/2 x 3' at the base. Comes with 4 removable shelves and a clear plastic cover that zips up at the front.

I see those a lot, but I need something larger. I have 5 pepper plants in pots, plus several large pots of tropical milkweed (for the monarchs), two large mandavillas, the Mexican oregano, and two variegated pentas that I would like to try and over-winter.

Original plan was to grow out my Bhuts, nagas, scorpions & 7's - two to a greenhouse (removing shelves) to keep the seeds pure.

They wouldn't burn up in the summer behind that plastic? Next time you're at Bunnings or some other hardware store, check and see if they have net bag for straining paint. I know Lowes around here has them. Anyway, they're large enough and fine enough to use over a good-sized potted plant, and I think they'd work to prevent cross pollination. I've used them over the milkweed and fennel to protect monarch and black swallowtail caterpillars from preditory bugs.

While I'm waiting for them to grow out of the seedtray I'm going to use it for sprouting mass seeds...after a recon at the local farmers markets I noticed there were no chillis plants or products there at all.

Is it the drought or a lack of interest in peppers?

The drought here is getting worse. The river systems on either side of the one that we get our water from are under varying degrees of watering restrictions. I figure it's only a matter of time before we're in the same boat. A couple of my other projects are to rig up rain barrels, and to divert the water from the washing machine to the yard.

Yup CFL = compact fluorescent light.
HPS = High Pressure Sodium lamps used in commercial green house.

The reason why the CFL appear to be less hot is because of the greather surface area that dissipates the heat.
A regular light buld has a small surface area so the surface is very hot. But a 40 watt incadescent and a 40 watt CFL will output similar amount of heat.

Ok me thinks pam does not like ebay.... I just purchased a MH light from ebay for 104$( shipping included ) that was sold for 200$ at a local store. I like it!

You can try this online stores or just go to your DIY store and get a few 40 watts CFL try to get the 6500 K (more blue then red)
http://www.1000bulbs.com/85-Watt-Compact-Fluorescents/9183/

BTW incadescent light have a negative effect on plant growth.

Pam said:
I see those a lot, but I need something larger. I have 5 pepper plants in pots, plus several large pots of tropical milkweed (for the monarchs), two large mandavillas, the Mexican oregano, and two variegated pentas that I would like to try and over-winter.

I was just going to pick one up every week and cable tie them together down the fence line attaching to fence also.

Pam said:
They wouldn't burn up in the summer behind that plastic? Next time you're at Bunnings or some other hardware store, check and see if they have net bag for straining paint. I know Lowes around here has them. Anyway, they're large enough and fine enough to use over a good-sized potted plant, and I think they'd work to prevent cross pollination. I've used them over the milkweed and fennel to protect monarch and black swallowtail caterpillars from preditory bugs.

I thought if I stick a bucket of water inside it may work like a terrarium. If it gets too hot, I'll roll some shade cloth over it.

Pam said:
Is it the drought or a lack of interest in peppers?

Uneducated plebs. There is 'long red' , 'long green' and anything else is called a 'birdseye' Thats the extent of variety available. Oh sometimes we see a few jalapeno in the shop labeled 'green, hot'.

Pam said:
The drought here is getting worse. The river systems on either side of the one that we get our water from are under varying degrees of watering restrictions. I figure it's only a matter of time before we're in the same boat. A couple of my other projects are to rig up rain barrels, and to divert the water from the washing machine to the yard.

get started now, it will affect us all eventually. Doesn't hurt to start drought hardening some plants..for all kinds of food.

murraybasin_159271a.jpg

This is the Murray-Darling Basin. The Murray river feeds most of our 'food bowl' its 1600 miles long and covers 3 states. They say it'll be completely dry in about 6 months.

habman said:
Yup CFL = compact fluorescent light.
HPS = High Pressure Sodium lamps used in commercial green house.

Ok, thanks.

The reason why the CFL appear to be less hot is because of the greather surface area that dissipates the heat.
A regular light buld has a small surface area so the surface is very hot. But a 40 watt incadescent and a 40 watt CFL will output similar amount of heat.

I am so, ah ha! Compact fluorescents it is. Thanks again.

Ok me thinks pam does not like ebay.... I just purchased a MH light from ebay for 104$( shipping included ) that was sold for 200$ at a local store. I like it!

You can try this online stores or just go to your DIY store and get a few 40 watts CFL try to get the 6500 K (more blue then red)
http://www.1000bulbs.com/85-Watt-Compact-Fluorescents/9183/

BTW incadescent light have a negative effect on plant growth.

Well, the incandescent bulbs are for warmth, not light. They won't usually be on during the day, and only when it gets below freezing at night. I'm not going for production all winter, I will be happy to have them survive in reasonable condition. Once we get through December, the sun light length and intensity will increase every day.

We usually have our first hard freeze around Thanksgiving. Then the weather briefly turns mild again by the end of December. January and February are the coldest months, and usually by the first of March daytime temps start bumping the 80's. We'll have one or two more cold snaps in March or the first of April...in a normal year. So, they need to be in this thing 4 months tops.

bentalphanerd said:
after a recon at the local farmers markets I noticed there were no chillis plants or products there at all.

Which markets? Saturday morning Rocklea ones? They're definately lacking chilli-wise.

As for the poor variety of chillies in shops, tell me about it... I've got the shakes from Hab withdrawal, haven't had any in a while. Every now and then I see some in the shops, but no luck lately. Just the usual long red and green and 'birdseye'. How boring... Although not long to wait now until I have my own, one of my naga plants has a few buds :?:

BobsYourUncle said:
Which markets? Saturday morning Rocklea ones? They're definately lacking chilli-wise.

As for the poor variety of chillies in shops, tell me about it... I've got the shakes from Hab withdrawal, haven't had any in a while. Every now and then I see some in the shops, but no luck lately. Just the usual long red and green and 'birdseye'. How boring... Although not long to wait now until I have my own, one of my naga plants has a few buds :?:

I have never seen a Hab in the shops here. Bit I love is they charge $20/kg for the rubbish.
I did find 2 kgs of Savinas down at the Rocklea wholesale markets one day...thought I was in heaven...& only $8/kg. Last 3 times has been nothing at all, will look again this week...need to make more sauce.
For your withdrawals I recomend you look up "Chilli Willies" most of his sauces are over 25% Hab. He's out your way at Flinders View.

Just looked then, he certainly is out my way, less than 1km from my house in fact. It'ss a small world.

As for habs in shops, the coles at Redbank has had red habs a couple of times, and I've also got them from harvest market before (although once they were labelled 'sweet chillies' - which might've caused a few nasty suprises :?:)

BobsYourUncle said:
Just looked then, he certainly is out my way, less than 1km from my house in fact. It'ss a small world.

As for habs in shops, the coles at Redbank has had red habs a couple of times, and I've also got them from harvest market before (although once they were labelled 'sweet chillies' - which might've caused a few nasty suprises :?:)

I met the crazy old so & so at Byron Festival. Sampled everything & bought a few bottles. Funny guy.

'sweet chillies' That would go down well :?:

Hey Pam. Last year I threw together a cold frame using sawhorses and some old windows, I used plastic to cover the gaps and piled straw around the bottom. I managed to have lettuce and carrots growing up until mid-January when I got klutzy and broke some of the glass. For really cold nights I covered the cold frame with a blanket and if it rained or snoweed I covered it with a tarp. I don't think I could grow peppers here with that set-up but it sounds like your winters are mild. I'd give it a shot. You can usually curb-shop old windows. Alternatively - you can dig a trench, line the edges with bales of straw, place your plants in and cover the top with an old window. When the temp dips cover it with a blanket.

I picked up this plastic greenhouse at Walmart a few years ago for $80 but then saw them on sale later for $40. I don't know if they still carry them but they work well, but can get too hot very easily in the sun. It needs some sort of closeable vent on the top peak. I was thinking of making one with velcro.

POTAWIE said:
I picked up this plastic greenhouse at Walmart a few years ago for $80 but then saw them on sale later for $40. I don't know if they still carry them but they work well, but can get too hot very easily in the sun. It needs some sort of closeable vent on the top peak. I was thinking of making one with velcro.

You know, I'm getting the distinct impression that you and Bent might be ever so politely questioning my handiness with tools and such. I shouldn't admit this, but when I wanted some work down at the house, I used to call my parents' house and mention that I was getting the power tools out. Dad used to just about break a leg getting over here.

Anyway, I was also looking at this:

(Edited out 'cause I'm being blonde this morning. Just go down a post or two.)

It's pretty easy to adjust the length if I decided I needed more or even less room.

Pam said:
Well, how in the world did I manage that?

Note to self: Do not post when both busy and pre-caffeinated.

Let's try this again:

Wuh happened??? I read post...followed link...returned to post...:eh:read post...followed link...returned to post...:eh:read post...got dizzy...passed out...

Note to self - better buckle up when reading Pam's posts...:(

Back