• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Temporary Greenhouse

Pam,

Now you know why I've been asking questions about containers! I actually have a 14x10 room and a 20x16 room that if I really need to, I can set up as a greenhouse for winter. So I'm going to take a page from Patawie's book and grow peppers in containers next year.

One reason is because the winters in Cincy can be brutal - we can easily go 10-15 degrees below zero. Another reason is because of dead dirt in my backyard, where my garden is. I hate to give up close to 250 sq. feet.

I can grow the plants in the spare bedrooms (or leave then in the dark, cooler basement) until after Frost Free Day - about May 15, then take them outside. If winter comes early or late, it won't make a difference. Bring them inside.

Considering the cost of PVC piping, plastic, heating - lights or a heater, and other things, vs. the cost of containers, I figure I should come out quite a bit ahead.

Pam said:
Thread drift happens. It's what makes a forum homey instead of stiff and formal.

Hijack away.

Ain't that what makes THP the best dang two-bit forum on the web now?

Topic: By the time you weigh up materials, time & tools, the pre-fab is hard to beat.

wordwiz said:
Now you know why I've been asking questions about containers! I actually have a 14x10 room and a 20x16 room that if I really need to, I can set up as a greenhouse for winter. So I'm going to take a page from Patawie's book and grow peppers in containers next year.

I have a small house with no basement. The plants I over-winter usually get shoved in the cat room, because it gets the most light, and the cats don't mind sharing.

I'm not looking to put everything in pots, only to over-winter a few peppers so I can get off to an early start, and some flowers and herbs so I can take cuttings and root them over the winter.

One reason is because the winters in Cincy can be brutal - we can easily go 10-15 degrees below zero. Another reason is because of dead dirt in my backyard, where my garden is. I hate to give up close to 250 sq. feet.

While I have a small house, I have a fairly large lot for the city, it's a half acre. I have plenty of good garden space, just haven't gotten it all cleared out, yet. Throwing the hoop house up over part of the existing garden is just an experiment to see if I can over-winter some plants that way. Some of the peppers will be cleared out to make room for the potted peppers and flowers. As I mentioned, our winters are relatively mild, with only short bursts of below freezing weather.

I can grow the plants in the spare bedrooms (or leave then in the dark, cooler basement) until after Frost Free Day - about May 15, then take them outside. If winter comes early or late, it won't make a difference. Bring them inside.

I think that makes a lot of sense for Northern gardeners. Especially when you're trying to grow long season peppers like so many habs are.

Considering the cost of PVC piping, plastic, heating - lights or a heater, and other things, vs. the cost of containers, I figure I should come out quite a bit ahead.

I went to Lowes website and checked prices. I think I can get a 20 by 10 hoop house built for under $60. Putting black weed paper down to help absorb heat, and using black buckets with water to help( I use them in my cold frames in the spring), too, I don't think the heating costs will be prohibitive in this part of the country.

I'm leaning more toward the hoop house them my original idea for a square building at this point.

Back