• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Temps

Well I've got some plants that are busting at the seams in their 18 oz. beer cups. I was planning on potting up the biggest ones up to 5 gal. pot this weekend to go outside. Forecast is high from the mid 50s to mid 60s and lows down to mid 40s, plus cloudy and rain showers all week. Crap, we were in the 70s and 50s last week. They'll be out under a covered patio and no chance of frost.

10nx8yf.jpg

33axro6.jpg

i76agy.jpg

Two questions

Have I reached critical mass with that root ball?

Are those temps OK to stay out?

My gut saws go for it and pot them up. I'll be out of town all next week but have a great plant sitter in Mrs. Logchief

I would DEFINATELY pot up! As far as temps...well, they SAY 50's for the lows being the minimal temp. I guess it couldnt hurt to try. Tell the Mrs. that IF they start looking bad, bring them back inside I guess. Trial and error.

The number I have always heard here is temps at night no lower than 55 degrees. However, I am in the same boat and also wanted to pot up some of my largest plants outside this weekend into 5 gallon pots. I am much warmer during the day (80's) but have the same mid to low 40's at night. I am looking forward to seeing what the experts think about your situation. Take lots of pictures.

I think you could go either way. Those chilis are big and tough. I think you mentioned in your grow log they've already had some outdoor time. They could easily take whatever you've got in mind. And like the H Pooper said, ms.logchief could always drag them to a better locale if need be.

Nicely done.... :cool:

Can't deny it - I'm no expert. BUT I have done a lot of reading, both on this site and others, including ChilePlants.com, TheChileMan.org, and various university and agricultural agency sites. So even though I personally have little to offer, I like to think they do. What they all seem to be in general agreement about is that you shouldn't let the roots get below 50F - the ambient air can get below this for the part above ground, but as ChilePlants.com says, peppers don't like cold feet! Since pots are generally above-ground, they do not receive the benefit of general ground heat, so are more prone to absorbing chill from the air. My personal take on this is that if your plants are in pots and the temps are going to be below 50F, the safest thing to do is bring them inside.

Ok..well for starters, ya'll that keep saying getting down to 50's...heck that is our highs and just started this week :)
LC from what I have always heard, read, and been told, 50's is about the minimum you want to put the peppers in..but I have also heard as long as it doesnt frost.
Very nice root ball but I think I would start upgrading from the cups. Very nice looking plants my friend!

Back