• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Tempted by Commercial Pods, Even with Good-Sized Grow?

Plants don't always equal pods.

2z5pq4i.jpg

Having longer arms (and maybe more motivation) than most of the customers at La Fiesta, I was able to reach over and into the incredibly long, deep bin of serranos to fish out these few ripe ones.  The reward: a little bit of sweet to go with the heat.

The chile de árbol (aka cola de rata) were found by-the-piece, both fresh and dried.  These are a strategic purchase for the seeds.

Pullas I had been put off of a few years ago by an old, dark woman (who looked like she'd know her chiles).  Asked about heat level, she reacted as though these were the searing fingers of Satan, excruciating to mere mortals.  I assumed these were just more empty annuum heat with no flavour payoff. 

Wrong.

Pullas are aromatic and savoury.  I'd compare the aroma of pipe tobacco and flavour note of dried berries to those elements in guajillo pods but with a heat level around the southern end of the serrano range.  Very useful chiles, I think.

Better late than never, I reckon.

That's what I miss the most about Texas - being able to find just about anything at one grocery store or another. The grocer I most often go to here (in OH) JUST started carrying corn husks in the Mexican section - now I might be motivated to make tamales!

Back