• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Tequila Mango Roasted Habanero Hot Sauce

I'm a newb to the site but I've really enjoyed cking out everyone's recipes and photos. I've even started growing my own Habaneros and Jalapenos. I look forward to cking on them every day, carefully watering them, etc. etc. Lately, i've tried a few recipes and I want to give a shout out to Grill Girl because I used her recipe and modified it a bit. Check it out... http://grillgrrrl.co...t-sauce-recipe/

Just so you know the story, I made a batch of this modified hot sauce and my neighbors loved it so I planned on making several big batches to give away as gifts. I found out that a nurse at the hospital was diagnosed with cancer and there were some fund raiser projects going on so I decided to take 3 cases (36 jars) and sell them and contribute the money. Surprisingly, after one nurse bought a jar, shared it, the other 35 jars sold out in an hour and a half. Two days later, a good friend passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack. He was a security guard at the hospital and his family was in need so me and a few other guys decided to sell some hot sauce. In about 6 hours, we sold 10 cases of hot sauce (120 jars). They were the 8 oz. mason jars and we sold them for $5 a piece and they sold like Hot Cakes!

So, I wanted to share the recipe because it's definitely a hit. Here is the modified ingredient list.
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 cans of Libby Mangos
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
  • 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
  • 10 habanero peppers, stems removed
  • 1 Cup of your favorite tequila (Blanco)
  • 1 bottle of Realime juice
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 2 Roma tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup of chopped Cilantro
  • 1/2 tblspn sea salt
  • 1/2 tblspn ground pepper
[background=initial]I sauteed the olive oil, salt and pepper, carrots, onions, tomatoes and garlic in the tequila until the carrots were fairly soft. I also roasted the orange Habanero's over the grill to bring out the flavor. Then, everything went into the blender, mango syrup and all. I blended it to the consistency I like, a little chunky but smooth enough to pour out of a small Topo Chico bottle. I keep those for myself while I can the stuff I'm gonna give away. It seems like a lot of lime juice but trust me, it works out great. A friend of mine at the hospital told me that he tried this recipe but with all fresh ingredients (mangos, lime juice) and it wasn't as good. I think the sweetness from the syrup in the cans of mangos is what makes it awesome, along with the tequila. I used Camarena Tequila but I am thinking that Hacienda de Chihuahua Sotol would also be awesome because it's really very smooth. [/background]

http://www.shutterfl...6cd1d30d33b21f1

Sounds good Doc!
I REALLY like fruit based sauces and kinda favor the flavor of tequila every so often.. more often than not :P
How many oz. in that bottle of lime juice? Is it the 15 oz bottle?
Just pulled a few peppers from the garden and need something to do with em'.

Sounds good Doc...
Never thought about Lime juice bottles for bobbers but I guess that would work out just fine.
Hell if you threw in a few herbs and some EVOO into the bottles the fillets would be marinated as you pulled them in the boat!

Your recipe looks super. :dance: THANKS for sharing it :clap:
I will be making a batch with Habs and a second batch with Datils.

:welcome: to THP and Greetings from the Metrolina in North Carolina !
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] "The taste is followed by a vicious hot spicy bite"[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] :flamethrower:[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] :onfire:[/background]

...and use the smaller yellow "bean shaped" mangoes IF you can get em- FRESH will smoked the canned version.

Doug , I'm guessing you would be the man to ask just what the name of those mangoes are specifically?
Many thanks-
Dave

Thanks, Doc! I couldn't find any canned mango either but am doing this tomorrow (a stomach bug has to hit on a weekend, right? but it nears an end) with 20 St. Barts--deseeded--food mill kaput--and don't feel like going the deep-V colander route to deseed. With half-canned pineapple and half-mango blend with 1 cup rum. Instead of tomatoes, might do something ultra-strange because I pressure-can, using coconut milk and only key lime juice to give this even more of a tropical hit. A splash of agave into mango in quart jar gives it a syrupy but naturally super ripe feel. Also, Doc, right: smoking the peppers and roasting everything with a touch olive oil and sea salt . . . salt is GREAT to make stuff sweeter, works so well. My St. Bart's are hotter than I expected, left membrane, not worried about too much sweet for the heat involved. Again, thanks!

Back