•1 recipe Vinegar Mop Sauce
•1 3- to 3-1/2-pound fresh beef brisket I tend to get about 8lber they shrink
•2 teaspoons seasoned salt
•1 teaspoon paprika
•1 teaspoon chili powder
•1 teaspoon garlic pepper
•1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
•1 recipe Spicy Beer Sauce
•12 Kaiser rolls, split and toasted (optional)
Directions
1. At least 1 hour before smoke cooking, soak wood chunks in enough water to cover. Drain before using.
2. Prepare Vinegar Mop Sauce; set aside. Trim fat from meat. For rub, in a small bowl combine seasoned salt, paprika, chili powder, garlic pepper, and cumin. Sprinkle mixture evenly over meat; rub in with your fingers.
3. In a smoker arrange preheated coals, drained wood chunks, and water pan according to the manufacturer's directions. Pour water into pan. Place meat on grill rack over water pan. Cover; smoke for 5 to 6 hours (this is for 3-3 1/2 lbs larger cuts of meat will extend the time a several hours, 8lbs = 8-10hrs etc...) or until meat is tender usually I wait till the 190F mark, brushing occasionally with Vinegar Mop Sauce during the last hour or two of smoking. Add additional coals and water as needed to maintain temperature and moisture.
4. To serve, thinly slice meat across the grain. Serve meat with Spicy Beer Sauce. If desired, serve meat and sauce in Kaiser rolls. Makes 12 servings.
Vinegar Mop Sauce: In a small bowl stir together 1/4 cup beer, 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon cooking oil, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon jalapeño mustard or other hot-style mustard and a few dashes bottled hot pepper sauce.

Spicy Beer Sauce: In a medium saucepan melt 2 tablespoons butter or margarine. Add 3/4 cup chopped, seeded, peeled tomato (1 large); 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium); and 1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper. Cook about 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1 cup bottled chili sauce, 1/2 cup beer, 1/2 cup cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, 1 1/4 teaspoons black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until reduced to about 2-1/4 cups.

Well to be fair here it also depends on the size of the brisket. I always get those big, 15-20 pound "packer style" ones. A smaller, trimmed brisket could be smoked in much less time.

Impressive attention to detail Lucky!

My beef briskets come out a touch on the dry side, but then again I don't do all of the mops and sauces. I treat it like pork. Maybe that is where I am going wrong.

Nice post anyhow.

This recipe was for 3-3 1/2 lber I usually go with 8lbs which practically doubles the time I should have put that in there or at least a temp of at least 190 F sorry about the mix up and good call I'll edit that in .....

Cheezydemon do you have pan of water in your smoker it helps to keep it from drying out or you just cook it to long I always do the whole brisket or whole pork loin or turkey.
Dan

LET IT BURN

Back