• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Texas Creek Pure Evil vs Defcon Zero

I don't know if this has crossed anyone else's mind, but I need to do a side by side comparison between these two juggernauts of evil, these two purveyors of pain, these two vials of doom...

100_9974.jpg

Tonight is the night. Stay tuned.

This isn't a "I can eat a bottle full of the hottest stuff on earth" youtube prank kind of thing. This is a compare and contrast of two products I already have tried many times.

Besides, I have been there and done that with those videos. It doesn't get much hotter than eating whole brain strains and douglahs and I did them on video.

How do you recover quickly enough to "enjoy" the next sample of what you'll be testing??...If I put an entire brain strain or douglah in my mouth, I would probably be chambering a round before it hit my stomach!!

Well, usually I just wait long enough for myself to get back to normal. I don't usually do them rapid fire back to back. One night I did three or four different superhots and that was very rough on my stomach. A full stomach before eating them helps too. I am making some egg rolls to eat along with the samples.

I think I will start this test around 10pm est.

I understand that you would have to recuperate and get back to normal before going on to the next sample - how long would that take you tonight?

Well, I am going to start with a toothpick test. I am guessing with that amount ten to fifteen minutes to feel completely normal again. Then after I do both of them I am going to do something more substantial with each side by side.

Something SL taught me...
Take 2 toothpicks and dip one in each product,
Then put them on each side of your tongue (about halfway back) at the same time, (doing it in the mirror helps me... buuurrphh).
There's not enough product to get all mixed up in your mouth so,
you instantly get a read on which one is hotter, weird but it works.

I'll check in on this Jay, 'dem Saints-be-a-playin.

Good suggestion, but I am not sure that it will help me accurately gauge the heat levels of each. If my head is being blown off I may not be able to tell anything more than which side was hottest at impact.

I know I can handle the heat, but I want to be able to distinguish taste, heat, where the heat is in my mouth, throat, duration, all that stuff. I can't do that by doing both of them at the same time.

Actually, it seems you should be able to do both, since you're waiting between each. ie - do the duo-toothpick thing, wait, do just one, wait, do just the other.

Just a thought.

Begin.

Test one: A toothpick about halfway up with Texas Creek Pure Evil.

No taste whatsoever on the toothpick. I can tell you that when I did a few drops straight into my mouth at a time prior it has a slight alcohol taste.
The heat spreads as you go. I got very little at the first instant. Then after a second or two I felt it in my throat. It has since spread over my tongue and is lingering on the tip.
After three minutes I am sweating slightly. The only pain that remains is a little on the tip of my tongue and the left side of it.

In case anyone is not familiar with Texas Creek's Pure Evil, Salsa Lady has made this little vial of casaicin that comes with an eye dropper. It is still in the development stages, but basically it is meant to be a colorless, tasteless food/sauce additive made by dissolving pure crystal capsaicin into alcohol. It gives a very clean burn that is ideal to add to sauces or soups to spice things up.

Eight minutes in and the tip of my tongues still burns a bit. Everything else is pretty much back to normal.

Test two the same, a half toothpick of Defcon Zero: The first thing I notice is the difference in smell. Although the creator does not use chemicals in his extraction process he does his extraction from dried habaneros which obviously have a smell. The other major difference is color. While Pure Evil is clear this is dark reddish brown. The taste is only there for a second, but as far as extracts go it is not all that unpleasant. The heat hit me immediately in the throat and center of the tongue and now it has centered on the tip of my tongue in just the same place as the Pure Evil did. Initial reaction. Zero is hotter. I would say nearly twice as hot. I am already sweating and felt a wave come over my head.

After four minutes my nose in running and I am breathing through my mouth. You know that breathing. Still sweating. Pain is sharp on my tongue.

Seven minutes back of my head is sweating now. Pain is the same on the tip of my tongue. That seems to be the only place that burns. Nose is still running.

Ten minutes, pain is beginning to subside, but is still there. My nose stopped running and most of the sweating has stopped. I am going to ammend what I said about the heat. While I would judge it to be twice as hot at the start, I would only say it is 1.5X as hot overall.

Fifteen minutes and the tongue burn is still going. It leveled off, but it is still there.

In conclusion, Texas Heat gets the nod for the lack of taste, but Defcon Zero is clearly a bit hotter in the head to head taste test. I have another test for these two coming up.

Back