• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Texas Steak House and other stopping points needed

Now, I'll be taking the 40 to the 44 to the 70 (more or less) which will take me through Flagstaff, AZ/ Albuquerque, NM (DD I know you have me covered on places to go, we went to them last year ;) )/ Amarillo, TX, Oklahoma and Tula, OK/Springfield and St. Louis, MO, trough IL, into Indianapolis, Indiana (uhhhh... IA?), and then into Columbus to Cleveland, OH.

Besides the last two, what do you suggest I go see? I've been to the St. Louis arch twice so I can skip that. What stake houses do you know of that will be worth stopping in Texas to get that great meat I've been hearing about for soooooo many years now?

Remember, I am a hippy so going to see a movie in Arizona is not my thing. Nature, unique features of the land, beauty...that's what I'm looking for.

I've never been to texas but my parents have & they said the beef doesnt taste as good as our cattle, meaning from MN or central usa . because of what they eat ?

but I say you should stop at whatever place it is & eat the 96'er, like the one in the great outdoors movie :lol: & video tape it.

IGG:

Check this out in Amarillo: http://www.bigtexan.com/

If you are going through St. Louis, check out:

Kreis' Restaurant
535 S Lindbergh Blvd
St Louis, MO 63131
Phone: (314) 993-0735

They have absolutely the best prime rib I have ever tasted. They are fairly expensive but well worth the money. Do not order the large prime since the small is over an inch thick and hangs over the edges of a platter. Everything is ala carte. A baked potato and a regular prime portion will stuff you.

If you have some time, hook south when you get to Flagstaff and hit up Sedona.

Also, there's the Cadillac Ranch (in Amarillo) That's pretty cool.

cadillac-ranch.jpg

chilehunter said:
I've never been to texas but my parents have & they said the beef doesnt taste as good as our cattle, meaning from MN or central usa . because of what they eat ?

but I say you should stop at whatever place it is & eat the 96'er, like the one in the great outdoors movie :lol: & video tape it.

That is Denny's Beer Barrel Pub in Clearfield, PA. Refer to my post in your other thread.

phil - the movie "the great outdoors " with john candy (spelling might be wrong on last name ?) which is truely funny! but its a monster steak not a burger.

Sickmont said:
You could hit up Meteor Crater in Arizona, off of I-40, if you're into that stuff.
I just read this to Dave and he said, "Skip it. Been there, done that, paid the money. It's a hole in the ground, a hole in the ground you have to pay for to look at. It's a big hole in the ground, but it's not worth it."

He was very passionate about that.... :lol:

About 3 hours depending on the weather. You'd be way down closer to I-10.

However, on any given night...if it's clear, there's a lot of weird stuff happening in the sky that just ain't normal. And that's right here.

All i know is i took I-40 across this country about 10 or 15 times when i was stationed at Hill AFB in Utah....and i'm warning you the trek from Tucumcari to Amarillo is so freakin mind numbing you can't believe it. I recall i started practically hallucinating because the only thing to really see out there(with the exception of the occasional screwy roadside thing or gas stops) is the horizon...

Oh yeah... That desert mesa out there is the worst. The wind out there is horrible at times as well.

You better have some good tunes in your car. The radio stations don't really reach out there unless you like listening to AM talk....which can be just as mind numbing as the scenery.

IGG:

When did you say you were leaving?

Back