Thai Brainstorming

I have access to some green Thais now and next year will have Thai Fires in my garden again.
I have notice the friends and customers I have that are from the Thai region love their vinegar.
I am thinking some Thais, garlic, onion, white or balsamic vinegar(maybe both), ginger, Jimmy Nardello sweet peppers, some limes, and for more heat some Fatalli or Naga Morich or possibly Naga Jolokia(first 2 I have a few frozen still and the 3rd I have to check if I can still get in from Holland). The fish sauce is.....I don't know. Like I said I am going to make an effort to get some Thai food this weekend and that will help me put together a better desired profile.
This post is easy-you said it already, try some white balsamic or pear balsamic vinegar, and lemongrass,ginger,shallots,garlic.....fish sauce is an aquired taste(quite unique salty PUNGENT taste-but some commercial versions for restuarant and supermarkets are less extreme)
but I'd be looking for a savory type sauce -so something salty to "savorize" the sugar is called for.............my 5 cents.

So maybe I could avoid the fish sauce and add some salt. Even though I don't like to add salt, as I feel the end user should, for thai sauce I guess it would be mandatory.

I dunno... for Vietnamese and Thai food... Fish sauce is pretty much essential.. a little goes a long way though...

It is kind of like adding the anchovies when you are making a proper Caesar salad dressing... no one knows it is there (unless allergic to fish or something) but it adds so much to the overall flavour.

get a small bottle of the good stuff and experiment... (preferably the msg free stuff)

I actually made a pretty decent thai-ish sauce by taking some of the fatal lime and adding some fish sauce, some basil garlic, ginger juice (squeezed from some mashed ginger puree I had in a jar as the puree of ginger was to lumpy) and a tiny bit of cane sugar and cillantro... I forget what all else I mixed in the cup when I was making it and really how much of each part I used since I tried it.. said hmm needs more of that.. added more and tasted again until I liked the result... I may have added a tiny bit of rice wine vinegar too but I can't recall right now... but it wasn't excessively tangy.

you can limit the salt when using fish sauce as it is usually plenty salty enough

and if you want to get some revenge against your neighbors or someone else... soak some rags in fish sauce and stuff it in their car's ventillation air intake and spritz some of that up into the engine bay area of the car too... preferably hitting the insulation on the hood.... friends of mine played a prank on a douchebaggy hockey player knob back in highschool like that once..... and the stink took a long time to come out... hahahah...

So maybe I could avoid the fish sauce and add some salt. Even though I don't like to add salt, as I feel the end user should, for thai sauce I guess it would be mandatory.

Man Y'all are making me hungry :snooty: I love Thai Garlic at Zenna's in Plano and they are open till 3am but yea they did the same thing alot of Thai places are doing they cut down the "Real Thai Spicy" I guess because a few wimps found it too hot. I am thinking Ginger and real Thai peppers should be on the list.
Be well
FXC

Back