• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

thai noodle soup

I'm looking for a good thai noodle soup recipe, I have some lemon grass to use which I've had before in noodle soup & it was great. I'll also be adding some onions/carrots/shrimp.
I've did a test run soup with some other ingredients but it was lacking something ?

Perhaps you are missing cilantro which is a mainstay in Southeast Asian cooking.
Here's one with chicken.

1package (3 ounces) ramen noodles
3/4pound chicken tenders
2cans (about 14 ounces each) chicken broth
1/4cup shredded carrot
1/4cup frozen snow peas
2tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
1/2teaspoon minced garlic
1/4teaspoon ground ginger
3tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1/2lime, cut into 4 wedges

chilehunter said:
I'm looking for a good thai noodle soup recipe, I have some lemon grass to use which I've had before in noodle soup & it was great. I'll also be adding some onions/carrots/shrimp.
I've did a test run soup with some other ingredients but it was lacking something ?

Lacking spices!! Make your own curry powder and add it with some coconut milk. That should help!

birdpepper - thanks, that looks like it'd be really tasty.
THP - I did have some other spices in the soup but still kinda bland.I've thought about making my own powders, but thats as far as I got :( but I really should try to make some this year. as for coconut, I cant stand the stuff (any forum of coconut)

chilehunter said:
birdpepper - thanks, that looks like it'd be really tasty.
THP - I did have some other spices in the soup but still kinda bland.I've thought about making my own powders, but thats as far as I got :( but I really should try to make some this year. as for coconut, I cant stand the stuff (any forum of coconut)
Darn ch you were asking for a soup with shrimp.I was sleeping. Ok, heres one with shrimp if it's not too late.

Thai Shrimp Soup

12 sprigs of coriander
6 sprigs of parsley
1 large onion
1 garlic clove
1 tbsp groundnut oil
8 spring onions (scallions)
Thai fish sauce (Nahm Pla)
1/2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 lb fresh peeled shrimps
2 lightly beaten eggs

Finely chop the coriander, parsley and garlic.
Coarsely chop the onion.
Drop the coriander, parsley, garlic and onion into a food process and blend to a smooth paste.
Heat the oil in a pan and stir fry the paste for 2 minutes.
Add 1 pint of boiling water to the pan,bring back to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the spring onions, fish sauce, sugar, soy sauce and shrimps.
Bring back to a boil, stirring continuously.
Stir in the lightly beaten eggs mix well.
Remove the pan from the heat and serve immediately in warm bowls.

I have an idea if you don't like coconut milk, try rice milk. It will add what is needed to the soup without the coconut flavor.

birdpepper - wow, thanks again for another recipe. both sound tasty. I was gonna just replace the chicken with shrimp in your 1st recipe but now I'll have to try both recipes as is, but I'll add some lemon grass to them.

THP - I'm confused, whats with the milk suggestions ? unless you know something I dont know, but to me milk (any forum) just dont sound like a good thing to mix into a asian noodle soup.

Well you said Thai, most thai cooking (soup) has coconut milk.

THP - well now I know why you've been mentioning milk, I did not know that thai's used coconut milk often in their cooking but now I do :D

Back