• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Thai pepper differences

Hello all I hope i am putting this in the correct forum.
So the first picture below is the Red Thai pepper from seeds that i ordered from Tradewinds.  This particular one is fairly young and perhaps wasn't the healthiest seedling I have but it is doing okay.

The second picture is a Thai Hot pepper seedling that i saw and decided to get from Home Depot the other day so i could compare the peppers from it and the thai peppers I am already growing from seed.

I have a couple of questions about this, does anyone know the difference between these two.  The one from HD says ornamental, but best i can tell from searching the interwebs they are still hot and edible.  The other question i have it seems the leaves of the two look pretty different and the store bought one has a lot more leaves.  Maybe that is what is throwing me off because of the number of leaves and it is just a healthier plant.  Any thoughts?

I tried to just post the link to the picture but it kept saying this format is not supported on this community, so sorry for the full pics on here.

20140419_235359_zpse8yyyg41.jpg

20140419_235150_zpsbsjshs2m.jpg

Hmmm, I grew 3 different Thai peppers last year...  the first was generally called a "Rat Turd" a small pepper that averaged about 1/2' to 3/4' in length.   The second pepper was a Thai Hot which peppers avergaed approx. 1.5 - 2' in lenth and the 3rd pepper was much longer it grew approx 3" in lenth and was slighty curled. 

Of the 3 different peppers they nearly all had the same flavor profile, so being the lazy sod I am at times I liked the bigger peppers as they were easier to harvest.  lol

I would say the only difference between your two plants is one is grown professionally in a greenhouse which would account ofr its more mature growth. 

I am growing 3 types of Thai chili this year.....  Thai Orange chili (see my avatar) Thai White chili and also a cross Thai X Jalapeno.  I'll post pictures of chili's later in summer. 

Buzzman19 said:
Hmmm, I grew 3 different Thai peppers last year...  the first was generally called a "Rat Turd" a small pepper that averaged about 1/2' to 3/4' in length.   The second pepper was a Thai Hot which peppers avergaed approx. 1.5 - 2' in lenth and the 3rd pepper was much longer it grew approx 3" in lenth and was slighty curled. 

Of the 3 different peppers they nearly all had the same flavor profile, so being the lazy sod I am at times I liked the bigger peppers as they were easier to harvest.  lol

I would say the only difference between your two plants is one is grown professionally in a greenhouse which would account ofr its more mature growth. 

I am growing 3 types of Thai chili this year.....  Thai Orange chili (see my avatar) Thai White chili and also a cross Thai X Jalapeno.  I'll post pictures of chili's later in summer. 
Lazy is good  :P I am curious if these two will pretty much taste the same.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I grow a few Thai types :)

The Thai hot will remain compact, 2 foot by 2 foot roughly and have short small pods. The red Thai can grow to 3 feet tall, not very wide and the pods are in bunches. 

Thanks for the info, do you think they taste fairly similar?

The Thai Hot that I posted a picture of is also the same at the big box stores, I actually know the plant to be the Thai Sun and the Thai Hot to be longer pods like Buzz posted. As for taste, many Thai pods can taste similar with different levels of heat. Not sure most can tell the difference in some of the easier to obtain species. 

parker49 said:
I have heard of rat turd, does it just go by thai pepper?

I have many Vietnamese American friends.  "Rat Turd" is just basically a "village" type name given to the chili referring to its size and shape.  If you were in Thailand or thereabouts you would simply call it what everyone else does, you wouldnt refer to its actual proper strain name like we do. 

I dont know the actual pepper name of the chili I refer to as "Rat Turd"  its what my friends call it so good enough for me. 

Alrighty, i came across this thread and thought some chili experts could help steer me in the right direction. I am trying to plan out my garden layout and I made the rookie mistake of not labeling my pepper plants after I started them from seed (i figured i would be able to tell the difference considering they are different species). Here is what I bought:

Thai Chile - Pepper Joe
Bolivian Rainbow - Pepper Joe
Devil's Tongue - Amazon.com

I am pretty certain that I have Identified the Bolivian Rainbow (1st picture). However the remaining seedlings look very similar. Half should be thai chili (Capsicum annuum) and the other half should be devil's tongue (Capsicum Chinese).

Can anybody drop some knowledge on me as to how to tell these apart?

BOLIVIAN RAINBOW (I THINK)
NewImage_zpsb4870e1f.jpg

DEVIL'S TONGUE OR THAI CHILI (I THINK)
IMG_1061_zps1a1694ae.jpg

NewImage1_zpsa921fb63.jpg

Thank you for your help.

-Adam

SPICYMADNESS said:
Alrighty, i came across this thread and thought some chili experts could help steer me in the right direction. I am trying to plan out my garden layout and I made the rookie mistake of not labeling my pepper plants after I started them from seed (i figured i would be able to tell the difference considering they are different species). Here is what I bought:

Thai Chile - Pepper Joe
Bolivian Rainbow - Pepper Joe
Devil's Tongue - Amazon.com

I am pretty certain that I have Identified the Bolivian Rainbow (1st picture). However the remaining seedlings look very similar. Half should be thai chili (Capsicum annuum) and the other half should be devil's tongue (Capsicum Chinese).

Can anybody drop some knowledge on me as to how to tell these apart?

BOLIVIAN RAINBOW (I THINK)
NewImage_zpsb4870e1f.jpg

DEVIL'S TONGUE OR THAI CHILI (I THINK)
IMG_1061_zps1a1694ae.jpg

NewImage1_zpsa921fb63.jpg

Thank you for your help.

-Adam

1st picture top I am gonna say Bolivian Rainbow, they look slightly different from mine but I got my seeds in trade so cant say for certain till mine grow out. 

Middle picture I am gonna say Devil's Tongue because they dont have the leaves associated with Thai Plants.  At least what I think, cheers

I would say the first is the Thai's--the others---who knows?

In planning your space, my Bolivian rainbows are the earliest and most everybearing.
My Thai's were next most prolific.
I never had a Devil's Tongue pod up.

One of the links mentions there is a cross between the jalapeno, seeds of wich were taken from California to Thailand,and a thai chilli.

To my knowledge both are C. Annuum so a cross would seem highly probable. 

Does anyone have any info on this Jalapeno/Thai hybrid ? 

Sluggy said:
One of the links mentions there is a cross between the jalapeno, seeds of wich were taken from California to Thailand,and a thai chilli.

To my knowledge both are C. Annuum so a cross would seem highly probable. 

Does anyone have any info on this Jalapeno/Thai hybrid ? 

I am actually growing the Thai X Jalapeno cross this year,  I got the seeds from a girl in California.  Honestly until I get pods I dont have anything else of value to add. 

I could take a picture of the plants so far, about all I can offer. 

I'm growing the PRik Nee Nuu Suan this year along with black thai, orange thai, and thai hot.  If i see any other thai types for sale i'll pick one up from the nurseries out here.  I grew thai dragons last year.

Back