• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

"Thai Piquant" is flowering already

I think I received these seeds from DENNIZ, but I'm not sure on that. Anyway, I planted the seeds on 1/13, and today I see it has tiny buds. It has been under T8 fluoros the entire time. Three questions then...

1) Does this necessarily indicate that this Thai plant is NOT a chinense due to the quick budding?
2) Should I pinch off the buds?
30 What the heck is a "Thai Piquant", anyway? Any other names for it?

I am not aware of any Thai plants that are chinense, then again I am no master of Thai plants. I do however have 18+ varieties growing this year.

are your lights on 24/7?

If the lights were on 24/7 it wouldn't cause them to bud - 12/12 (or close to it) will cause them to bud. And this has happened to me several times growing indoors.

Pull the buds - despite how agonizing it is - because better foliage will ultimately mean more and better fruit. You're in OR - they'll be able to go outside soon. Next year wait a lil longer before you sprout or alter your light pattern with a timer and you'll be fine ;)

No idea on the Thai Piquant as I've never heard of it, but if you get a bumper crop I'd be interested in some seeds for next year's garden. Keep me in mind, I'll have multiple varieties to trade.

Peppers being day-neutral means that they are not affected by light schedules. A shorter light schedule will not influence a pepper plant to flower.

Good info Island_Dan and Millworkman! What could cause the plants to bud this early then?

Life. A very short search would have yielded bountiful results.

Peppers grow, as they grow they split. This split is called a node. Flower buds form at ALL nodes. If conditions are acceptable this flower bud will form a flower and pollinate. If conditions remain acceptable a pepper will grow and mature and then you eat it.

Life. A very short search would have yielded bountiful results.

Peppers grow, as they grow they split. This split is called a node. Flower buds form at ALL nodes. If conditions are acceptable this flower bud will form a flower and pollinate. If conditions remain acceptable a pepper will grow and mature and then you eat it.

My apologies Millworkman - I'm new to these parts ;)

Much obliged for the information though, especially the instructions on what to do with the pepper.

Back